Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Stormfans Home | Gameday | Chat | Gallery | Links | About Us
Click here for Forum Registration information
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Swin and Le'Coe to Chi for #2 pick in 2012 Draft (Read 3860 times)
Awase
Veteran

WA
Swin and Le'Coe to Chi for #2 pick in 2012 Draft
Jan 2nd, 2012 at 9:51am

Being reported on Storm site and Chicago site.......holy shit batman.  Who is projected to go #2 this year?  Time to start looking at some of the mock drafts out there.  We also gave up one of our second round picks this year.......Trust Brian but still, holy shit batman.

"Undefeated in the f***ing playoffs!" Sue Effing Bird to Swin Cash 9/16/2010

IP Logged

Storm04.10
Veteran

Swin it to WIN IT!

Re: Swin and Le'Coe to Chi for #2 pick in 2012 Draft
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 10:06am

I'm in absolute shock. It helped to read Kevin Pelton's article.

http://www.wnba.com/storm/news/roster120102.html

They simply had to get younger. I can remember watching the games last year where they were run out of the gym. I would think that this trade for youth means that Katie will not be resigned. Wasn't she a one year deal?

"I'm not going to back down from anyone, I don't care how big you are or fast or strong or whatever. That's just not my style."

IP Logged

LaurenRules
Starter

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 10:08am

I love Swin.  How depressing.  Sad

IP Logged

Storm04.10
Veteran

Swin it to WIN IT!

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 10:22am

From Swin:

Quote:
Hello World.. It's late here in #China but I owe it to my tweeps& #Stormcrazies in Seattle to speak briefly.

Quote:
To the City of Seattle, teammates, staff,my #Cashforkids girls& #STORMCRAZIES I say thank you for the love&support! Blessed to have helped bring another ring to the Emerald City.

Quote:
I'm blessed to have help create the #Stormcrazies movement for the fans. You all were amazing! So although #Imgone now, #Cashforkids & I left something w/you all Smiley

Quote:
You can read more abt my thoughts on this trade tomorrow on @SLAMonline Also follow @wnbachicagosky for updates on interviews etc.. #Liftoff
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2012 at 10:23am by Storm04.10 »  

"I'm not going to back down from anyone, I don't care how big you are or fast or strong or whatever. That's just not my style."

IP Logged

DishNSwish
Deep Bench

Puppy Whalen

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 10:25am

My thoughts are here:

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2012/01/02/sky-storm-both-turn-the-page-with-swi...

I will be talking to Pokey Chatman in about an hour, and it will be added later.

IP Logged

scowl
Veteran

Portland, OR
Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 10:27am

The most sense I can find in this was that at the end of last season, Swin was shooting terribly. She'd spend fifteen minutes before every game meticulously practicing shots and missing most of them, long short long short long short. Agler watched her and never said a thing.

She made up for it in rebounds, defense, and other stuff on the court but it looked like her shot was just gone. It was not easy to watch.

"I know a lot of people who've gone to jail." -- Diana Taurasi
WWW scowl97201 scowlpdx  
IP Logged

strumpet22
Veteran

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 10:40am

I'm bummed because I like both those players' hustle. But unfortunately there is a time when you have to decide if you're going to take an aging athlete all the way to the end of their career or trade them while they still have value for someone younger. As much as I loved watching our team on the floor, it has concerned me that Sue, Lauren, and Swin (all about the same age) were discussed as ending their career in Seattle. Add to that Katie, and we are looking very short term. I really enjoyed watching both players, especially Swin, but I'm also excited that the draft will actually mean something again.

IP Logged

LaurenRules
Starter

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 11:02am

I'm not disappointed that we're going younger.  I'm disappointed that we're keeping Katie and losing Swin.  Katie had some great games last season, but she's what...  37?  Plus, no Lauren at the beginning of the season?  Wow.

I hope Ashley Walker has stayed in shape and can still play - or we can get someone else like her.

IP Logged

scowl
Veteran

Portland, OR
Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 11:18am

Katie also had some terrible games last season. She's not the Katie that kicked our asses with three pointers when she played for Minnesota. Her FG% last season was about in the middle of the league.

If Agler keeps her while saying "youth youth youth" he's going to look like a hypocrite.

"I know a lot of people who've gone to jail." -- Diana Taurasi
WWW scowl97201 scowlpdx  
IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #9 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 11:33am

I find this a terrible trade for the Storm Shocked i would even find Cash for the n2 pick a not so good trade because its almost for sure that Griner is not coming to the wnba early and Nneka goes to the Sparks  Sad

But Cash and Willingham for the number 2 pick in a weak draft damn thats just awfull  Shocked Shocked

Did Swin demand a trade? That would be weird after she signed a extension the past season. I heard that Willingham bought a house somewhere, maybe close to Chicago?

I get that he wants to get younger but the number 2 pick(Stricklen or S.Johnson) will not even be that good and certainly not a starting SF yet Angry

There are still a lot of open spots for the Storm. We need a starting SF (and backup) and a starting PF/C for the first part of the season. Svetty said she was going to focus on her national team next season so we can count her out Sad
Vesela is maybe coming back next season but she is not a 3rd leading scorer on a team.

Agler needs to sign free agent Ann Wauters for next season, that will be a must! Kobryn can back her up. Wauters is playing awsome atm at Ros Casares and she and LJ get along very well! I also want Agler to sign Sharnee Zoll, she is the number 1 PG in the euroleague at the moment. Playing great and it was a shame that she was cut just before the season last year!

There were be a lot of changes hopefully for the best. We have a lot of capspace right now. Quote:
Monday's trade is the first step in a series of moves that will remake the Storm's roster for 2012 after the team showed signs of age during a first-round loss to the Phoenix Mercury last summer

Quote:
"Obviously this trade is going to provide us an opportunity to select a good young player or the opportunity to use the second pick in the draft to bring young talent onto our roster," Agler explained. "At the same time, it frees up a substantial amount of cap space where we can go out and be active and aggressive in the free-agent market."

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2012 at 11:37am by Michelle89 »  

IP Logged

LaurenRules
Starter

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 11:43am

I just called the front office and blasted Agler for the decision.  If he does something brilliant, I will call back and apologize, but I think the #2 pick in a weak season is a really dumb idea, ESPECIALLY since Lauren isn't playing half the season and we're still stuck with Katie.  I do like her, but I think Swin is a more versatile and valuable player - and has more years in front of her.

Sheesh, the two-time MVP of the All-Star game, a member of the All-Fifteen Year Team, probably going to be an Olympian - and we trade her for an unproven draft pick in a crappy class? 

The more I think about this, the angrier I get.  Time to go work out or get away from the computer for a bit.

IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #11 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 11:53am

Why are you all worrying about Katie. She is not even signed yet and she certainly doesnt get max vet salary! She isnt a SF let alone a starting SF so i wouldnt worry about Agler starting her or whatever.

He has a plan and we just have to wait and see how it works out and see which free agents he can get to come over to the Storm. ill give him the benefit of the doubt. Because last time he got Swin Cash for the 4th pick and Svetlana/Willingham from free agency so he knows what he is doing!
HINT: GET ANN WAUTERSSSSSS!

Quote:
That could allow the Storm to improve its depth in the post to deal with Jackson's absence for the first half of the 2012 season in addition to strengthening the team's core.

"We definitely have a plan in place," Agler said. "We have our priorities. It's now a matter of putting our plan in place. We can be very competitive in the free-agent market now, and we plan to do that."

http://www.wnba.com/storm/news/roster120102.html

IP Logged

Cindy2244
Starter

Maple Valley
Reply #12 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:02pm

I think Brian is going to go after Stricklen from Tennessee. She's long, athletic, quick hands..can shoot the 3 or drive to the basket. She's a really good rebounder and can play the 1, 2 or 3. That's just my guess.Brian has been at several UT games already this year. I also heard (rumor) that we are likely to sign Catherine Kraayveld (who's from Bellevue)..she wanted to come here a few years back and signed an offer sheet with us but NY matched it and then traded her to Chicago. I just have to trust that Brian knows what he's doing. I agree..go after Wauters..maybe LJ can talk her into it while they are playing together over in Spain for Ros Casares...I hate to see Swin and Le'Coe go but I guess Brian thought he'd better try to get something for them while they still had some value..I know Swin talked last year about playing another year or two and then retiring because her knees are so bad..just a wait and see thing I guess at this point now... Undecided

Thank you Force 10!!

IP Logged

Anotherfan
Veteran

WA
Reply #13 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:03pm

yeah, I'm still in shock.... Sad

the way my email works I can only see the first few words until I click on the message, and the first few words of the Storm email were: "Storm Acquires No. 2 Draft...." and I thought "oh no."

God, I hate this....

Maybe I'll wear my Storm Crazies shirt to every game in protest

Damn

IP Logged

StormFanNo1
Veteran

Reply #14 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:53pm

I am in shock too.  Shocked  However it is too early to blast the coach yet. I am going to wait and see what his real plan is before making a decision.
At this point we traded two aging stars for a high draft pick. Whether this pays for the Storm really depends on who we get in the draft.
Suddenly this year's draft became very exciting for us.

Cheers,

I believe!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print