Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Stormfans Home | Gameday | Chat | Gallery | Links | About Us
Click here for Forum Registration information
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Marriage Equality in WA (Read 2485 times)
Storm04.10
Veteran

Swin it to WIN IT!

Marriage Equality in WA
Jan 4th, 2012 at 5:17pm

HUGE news here in Washington state.

Gregoire proposes legislation to legalize gay marriage

If you live in Washington please contact your legislators to support this bill, ESPECIALLY your senators. We are still a few votes short in the Senate. There is a link here:

Washington United for Marriage

"I'm not going to back down from anyone, I don't care how big you are or fast or strong or whatever. That's just not my style."

IP Logged

norwester
YaBB Moderator

It's apt. APT!

Seattle
Re: Marriage Equality in WA
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 11:18am

My local reps are for it. But then, I live in Capitol Hill. Wink

I was excited when I heard about this. I always try not to get my hopes up, but who can help it?  Cool

"I guess Lisa is a little mental."
http://norwestersdownpour.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Awase
Veteran

WA
Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 6:54pm

This is nice, but without the repeal of DOMA it doesn't really mean much. Although I know that the more states that pass marriage equality bills or offer domestic partnerships/civil unions, the more pressure there will be on national legislators to repeal it.

I got married in CT in 2009 and still can't put my wife on my federal gov't health benefits, or file a joint income tax return (although the IRS requires that we income split because we live in a community property state).

"Undefeated in the f***ing playoffs!" Sue Effing Bird to Swin Cash 9/16/2010

IP Logged

Storm04.10
Veteran

Swin it to WIN IT!

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 8:34pm

Well I'm excited about it.

"I'm not going to back down from anyone, I don't care how big you are or fast or strong or whatever. That's just not my style."

IP Logged

Storm04.10
Veteran

Swin it to WIN IT!

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 7:47pm

IP Logged

seattlegaucho
Starter

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 7:52pm

Smiley

IP Logged

BrrringIt
Veteran

Cheeky Little Bugger

Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 2:44pm

Awase wrote on Jan 5th, 2012 at 6:54pm:
This is nice, but without the repeal of DOMA it doesn't really mean much. Although I know that the more states that pass marriage equality bills or offer domestic partnerships/civil unions, the more pressure there will be on national legislators to repeal it.

I got married in CT in 2009 and still can't put my wife on my federal gov't health benefits, or file a joint income tax return (although the IRS requires that we income split because we live in a community property state). 

This is the civil rights issue of early 21st century America.  If history is any guide, states will legalize gay marriage one at a time, creating a domino effect.  The holdouts will be brought in line when the Supreme Court overturns DOMA at some future date.  You read it here first, folks.

Won't somebody think of the children?!

IP Logged

Awase
Veteran

WA
Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 8:07pm

Passes in the Senate 28-21, now on to the House.

"Undefeated in the f***ing playoffs!" Sue Effing Bird to Swin Cash 9/16/2010

IP Logged

Orsai
Starter

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2012 at 8:47am

I don't live in the US, so I would appreciate it if someone could clarify a few things.

From what I've read, this DOMA law means that even if some states approve marriage equality, then same sex marriages wouldn't be recognized by other states, is that so?

And if they wanted to, could the federal government legalize gay marriage so that every state would have to recognize it as well? Cause I think I remember Obama saying that marriage equality was an issue that each state had to deal with independently. Is that the way the legislative system works over there, or is it a way of saying 'I don't want to get involved'?

la .... que vale la pena estar vivo!

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2012 at 9:10am

Orsai wrote on Feb 3rd, 2012 at 8:47am:
And if they wanted to, could the federal government legalize gay marriage so that every state would have to recognize it as well? Cause I think I remember Obama saying that marriage equality was an issue that each state had to deal with independently. Is that the way the legislative system works over there, or is it a way of saying 'I don't want to get involved'?

It's all part of the "states rights" idea that helped lead to the Civil War.  Some believe in a strong federal govt. that tells the states what to do, others want some autonomy for the states to deal with issues unique to their own state.

I guess you could be cynical and say what Obama's said is an easy way to sidestep any political landmines.  Undecided  But there's always a fine line between how much the federal govt. should get involved vs. the state dealing with their own situations.

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

Storm04.10
Veteran

Swin it to WIN IT!

Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 9:01am

DOMA means the federal government does not recognize same sex marriages. No tax benefits, no health care benefits of same sex partners of federal employees, nada. Many states also have their own DOMA so even if they have civil unions/domestic partnerships, they won't have same sex marriage.

If DOMA goes away on a federal level, I think that means states are free to recognize, or not recognize, ssm.

Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

IP Logged

BrrringIt
Veteran

Cheeky Little Bugger

Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 12:12pm

You are correct, Storm04.10.

In keeping with my civil rights comparison, the various states had their own laws governing race as late as the early 1960s.  With the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, those laws were all swept off the books by the U.S. Congress.

In the case of "states rights" re: marriage, it was not until 1967 when the Supreme Court declared any ban on interracial marriage to be unconstitutional (Loving v. Virginia), using the Fourteenth Amendment's Equal Protection clause as the basis of its decision.

What makes that decision interesting in light of the present-day struggle is there is no comparable Equal Rights Amendment* governing gender the way the 14th Amendment dealt with race.  But the Supreme Court could use its own decision in Loving v. Virginia as a precedent in deciding for gay marriage since in it they declared marriage to be one of the "basic civil rights of man".

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the coming decades.

*We tried and failed in the '70s Angry
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2012 at 12:16pm by BrrringIt »  

Won't somebody think of the children?!

IP Logged

Orsai
Starter

Reply #12 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 7:23pm

Thanks for clearing things up for me! So since it's up for debate which issues are for the federal government to deal with, and which are state's business, I can see how some sensitive topics could fall into limbo, cause most politicians don't want to endorse these kinds of laws.

I have to say, it surprises me that marriage equality in the US is still such a controversial topic and that it hasn't been approved yet. There's always going to be opposition from conservative and religious groups, but many countries have already fought against that and have redefined the concept of marriage. I'm sure it won't be long before most countries get on board with this, and stop restricting marriage because of gender, just as it is no longer restricted by race nor religion.

la .... que vale la pena estar vivo!

IP Logged

missamo80
Starter

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 9:18pm

This passed the House Judiciary committee today: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politicsnorthwest/2017439246_gay_marriage_....

Neil

IP Logged

norwester
YaBB Moderator

It's apt. APT!

Seattle
Reply #14 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 10:39am

I'm interested in how the 9th Circuit's ruling on Prop 8 may affect the eventual referendum by anti-gay-marriage folks once our legislature makes gay marriage legal in Washington State. Is the ruling saying that you can't rescind by popular vote the rights of others without a reason? I'm unclear on the law and all the implications, but I'm hopeful.

"I guess Lisa is a little mental."
http://norwestersdownpour.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print