Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Stormfans Home | Gameday | Chat | Gallery | Links | About Us
Click here for Forum Registration information
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Storm 2012 and free agency (Read 7779 times)
DwgsStormFan
Veteran

Seattle, WA
Re: Storm 2012 and free agency
Reply #15 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 10:42am

Phoenix and Tulsa just traded point guards - Temeka Johnson for Andrea Riley. Wonder what that was about. Maybe Phoenix got tired of Temeka getting overly "pushy" when going after players. Or maybe they just think they get more life and future out of young Andrea (although Temeka has only been in the league 6 yrs).

2010 was even better than 2004
hspeegle  
IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #16 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 11:34am

DwgsStormFan wrote on Jan 16th, 2012 at 10:42am:
Phoenix and Tulsa just traded point guards - Temeka Johnson for Andrea Riley. Wonder what that was about. Maybe Phoenix got tired of Temeka getting overly "pushy" when going after players. Or maybe they just think they get more life and future out of young Andrea (although Temeka has only been in the league 6 yrs).

Probably to free up capspace to be more aggressive on the free agent market. And it was tweeted that they are going after Bird too but that was to be expected

IP Logged

DwgsStormFan
Veteran

Seattle, WA
Reply #17 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 3:16pm

Sue is way too loyal to Seattle for that change. But that said, there is nothing (financially) another team can offer Sue unless she just wants out of Seattle. We know that Phoenix is just wasting their time.

2010 was even better than 2004
hspeegle  
IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #18 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 7:55pm

DwgsStormFan wrote on Jan 16th, 2012 at 3:16pm:
Sue is way too loyal to Seattle for that change. But that said, there is nothing (financially) another team can offer Sue unless she just wants out of Seattle. We know that Phoenix is just wasting their time.

True and i dont question her loyalty but because its Phoenix and her best/good friends DT and Penny are playing there, am still getting a bit of a deja vu moment with the LJ situation a couple years ago. If it was any other team i wouldnt worry 1 second about it. But phoenix going after her makes me a bit uneasy also cuz they just traded their starting PG to free up capspace

IP Logged

FS02
Veteran

Poulsbo, WA
Reply #19 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 12:38am

Michelle89 wrote on Jan 16th, 2012 at 7:55pm:
DwgsStormFan wrote on Jan 16th, 2012 at 3:16pm:

True and i dont question her loyalty but because its Phoenix and her best/good friends DT and Penny are playing there, am still getting a bit of a deja vu moment with the LJ situation a couple years ago. If it was any other team i wouldnt worry 1 second about it. But phoenix going after her makes me a bit uneasy also cuz they just traded their starting PG to free up capspace

Jayda claims (via twitter) to know that Sue is going to re-sign.  So that's good enough for me, for now.  I hope for the sake of Mercury fans everywhere that Andrea Riley is not "plan A, B and C" at the PG spot, they must have something else up their sleeve.  Shocked
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2012 at 12:39am by FS02 »  

Once you label me you negate me.
~Soren Kierkegaard
IP Logged

I love Sue Bird
Rookie

Go Storm!

Reply #20 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 7:54pm

All I can say is Sue better stay in Seattle. I know she is way to devoted to Seattle to leave. or atleast I'm hoping.

IP Logged

Awase
Veteran

WA
Reply #21 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 10:38am

In the last week or so, Agler's been to Cincinnati for UCinn v ND and Miami for Miami v MD, had a stopover in Knoxville also.  His twitter feed says he tells Storm fans through code what his plan is.  Not too hard to figure out he's watching Williams and Novasel (sp?) and the other Miami player.  Is he also looking at a UT player, in a practice setting, cause the day he was there they didn't have a game.  Any seniors on MD that are worth a look for # 2 or #22?  He says he has important travel west coming up and we all know he's got a trip to Europe planned.  Is it Feb 1st yet?

"Undefeated in the f***ing playoffs!" Sue Effing Bird to Swin Cash 9/16/2010

IP Logged

scullyfu
Veteran

Reply #22 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 1:45pm

two ut players: stricklen and johnson are eligible for the draft,

for nd: could also be scouting diggins, just in case for this draft, but definitely for 2013. and, of course, novosel,

miami has williams and johnson.

naryland really only has one player worth scouting: 6'4" center lynetta kizer,

I'll always bleed Storm green!

IP Logged

Nerd2
Deep Bench

Go Storm!

Reply #23 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 7:22pm

scullyfu wrote on Jan 18th, 2012 at 1:45pm:
two ut players: stricklen and johnson are eligible for the draft,

for nd: could also be scouting diggins, just in case for this draft, but definitely for 2013. and, of course, novosel,

miami has williams and johnson.

naryland really only has one player worth scouting: 6'4" center lynetta kizer,

He said he had brought his kid's team over from Columbus so maybe he was just looking. Novosel and Mallory would be the ones coming out this year and Novosel at least should be a 1st or 2nd rounder. Miami has a couple of really good combo guards. The only big player from "out West" is Nneka, right? If she was available to us with the 2nd pick then that would mean that one of the expected big 3 from 2013 (Delle Donne, Griner, Diggins) would be declaring. Of course, we could always hope that LA has decided that they need a PG like Prahalis and leave Nneka to us.

I talked to Brian at that Cincinnati game and he said my wait (to see what he had planned) was half over. I took that to mean that whatever signings they had planned would happen pretty early on. All the coaches have been tweeting about colleges they've visited which is a savvy way of telling us that they are planning for the future.

IP Logged

gentree13
Starter

Dont Arouse the Wrath
of the Great & Powerful
Loz!

Beacon Hill
Reply #24 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 6:11pm

I have been thinking...

Brian Agler makes this "plan" of his sound really intriguing. He makes me think he has something tricky up his sleeve. If it is just the signing of Ann Wauters that he was referring to, then it was not a very well-kept secret. She is also hardly a short-term answer, and certainly not a long-term answer for a team that is trying to get younger and more athletic. This is obviously just speculation on my part, but could there be someone else he might be talking too? I can think of possibly Jana Veselá, Tijana Krivacevic, or Sharneé Zoll, who might also be predictable targets.

This is not the most likely scenario either, but is there anyone who thinks he might try to talk to Cheryl Ford or Deanna Nolan? The Tulsa Shock still hold Tweety's rights, so she would have to be traded here. Nolan Richardson was unwilling to let her go, but now that the coaching staff is under new leadership, one would think they might be more apt to trade away a player who would never have played there anyway. Maybe for say... the #2 pick in the draft? And Cheryl Ford was apparently very close to signing with a team last summer. The Storm was speculated as a possible landing spot for her, but we did not have the cap room. Trading Le'Coe and Swin freed that up. I would think both players would want to go to a team with a chance at a championship, and the Storm would be that with these additions in my opinion.

...just a thought...

Seattleites buy more sunglasses per capita than any other city in the nation. Seattle was the first city in the US to play a Beatles song on the radio. A group of ravens/crows is called a murder. Here's to bilita mpash (blissful dreams).

IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #25 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 3:17am

gentree13 wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 6:11pm:
I have been thinking...

Brian Agler makes this "plan" of his sound really intriguing. He makes me think he has something tricky up his sleeve. If it is just the signing of Ann Wauters that he was referring to, then it was not a very well-kept secret. She is also hardly a short-term answer, and certainly not a long-term answer for a team that is trying to get younger and more athletic. This is obviously just speculation on my part, but could there be someone else he might be talking too? I can think of possibly Jana Veselá, Tijana Krivacevic, or Sharneé Zoll, who might also be predictable targets.

This is not the most likely scenario either, but is there anyone who thinks he might try to talk to Cheryl Ford or Deanna Nolan? The Tulsa Shock still hold Tweety's rights, so she would have to be traded here. Nolan Richardson was unwilling to let her go, but now that the coaching staff is under new leadership, one would think they might be more apt to trade away a player who would never have played there anyway. Maybe for say... the #2 pick in the draft? And Cheryl Ford was apparently very close to signing with a team last summer. The Storm was speculated as a possible landing spot for her, but we did not have the cap room. Trading Le'Coe and Swin freed that up. I would think both players would want to go to a team with a chance at a championship, and the Storm would be that with these additions in my opinion.

...just a thought...

You say Wauters is not a long term answer wich is true but Nolan(32) is even older then her and has a big contract with UMMC that she doesnt want to jeopardize.(if she gets hurt in wnba she doesnt get payed or something like that clausule) and Ford is not much younger(30) and you will take a risk with her knees and she is not a number 1 scoring option.

I think Agler has multiple free agents that he wants to come to the Storm . He also has multiple spots to fill on the team, so far we only have 1 starter under contract (Little).

I would only trade that number 2 pick for young vets

IP Logged

gentree13
Starter

Dont Arouse the Wrath
of the Great & Powerful
Loz!

Beacon Hill
Reply #26 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 3:30pm

Yeah, I realize I contradict myself a little bit when calling out Ann Wauters on her age and then suggest the former Shock players as targets who both have also missed out on the past few seasons.

I would take Ann Wauters in a heartbeat, but she alone can not bring enough firepower offensively to compete with Minnesota, Los Angeles, and Phoenix, especially before Lauren gets back. I would take a chance on at least two of the three if Brian could convince them to come back.

I believe that if Tweety or Cheryl were to come here and like it, they would fit more into the long-term plans (barring injury) than Ann would. Ann will probably have national team commitments, or miss her family, or find some other reason to not come back some season or another.

But thanks for telling me about Tweety's contract status with UMMC Ekaterinburg. I was not aware of that. That seems to throw my theory out the window anyhow. Do you know when that contract is up? Either way, Brian Agler has his work cut for him...

Seattleites buy more sunglasses per capita than any other city in the nation. Seattle was the first city in the US to play a Beatles song on the radio. A group of ravens/crows is called a murder. Here's to bilita mpash (blissful dreams).

IP Logged

StormFanNo1
Veteran

Reply #27 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 8:42am

Isn't Tweety also playing in the Russian national team? If so, she too would have similar contractual obligations as Ann Wauters, and probably more since Russia always qualifies for the olympics.

Cheers,

I believe!

IP Logged

scullyfu
Veteran

Reply #28 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 11:50am

StormFanNo1 wrote on Jan 21st, 2012 at 8:42am:
Isn't Tweety also playing in the Russian national team? If so, she too would have similar contractual obligations as Ann Wauters, and probably more since Russia always qualifies for the olympics.

Cheers,

go back up and read michelle's explanation about tweety's contract with ummc, which may make her never want to return. honestly, if she hasn't by now, i doubt she ever will. if what michelle stated is accurate, why would tweety want to jeopardize a *big* paycheck for $100k payday for a season in the w?
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2012 at 12:03pm by scullyfu »  

I'll always bleed Storm green!

IP Logged

StormFanNo1
Veteran

Reply #29 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 6:23pm

scullyfu wrote on Jan 21st, 2012 at 11:50am:
StormFanNo1 wrote on Jan 21st, 2012 at 8:42am:

Cheers,

go back up and read michelle's explanation about tweety's contract with ummc, which may make her never want to return. honestly, if she hasn't by now, i doubt she ever will. if what michelle stated is accurate, why would tweety want to jeopardize a *big* paycheck for $100k payday for a season in the w?

I read michelle's post. That is why I posted mine. "isn't she ALSO playing for the Russian team?". I believe that is part of why she is getting that big paycheck from UMC.
Cheers,

I believe!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print