Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Stormfans Home | Gameday | Chat | Gallery | Links | About Us
Click here for Forum Registration information
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Storm 2012 and free agency (Read 7778 times)
Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Storm 2012 and free agency
Jan 13th, 2012 at 10:44am

The Storm have a lot of holes to fill. These cannot be fixed by the number 2 draft pick alone. Free agency will play a huge role in forming the 2012 team. These are a few steps that i think will be important this offseason and my suggestions on which free agents the Storm must sign.

Step 1 (Early february): Re-sign Sue Bird and Tanisha Wright
Step 2: Fill in the holes at the small forward and PF/C position
via trade or free agency. Atleast 1 of these 2 needs to be the number 1 or 2 scorer on this team!
Step 3: Try to get Vesela to return so that we have a backup SF
Step 4: get a backup PG for Sue

Free agents/players that i like to see on the team for upcoming season:
- A healthy Shameka Christon to be our starting small forward
- Ann Wauters to be our starting center and number 1 or 2 option/scorer on the team.
- Like to see Jana Vesela return and come off the bench to be our backup smallforward.
- Sharnee Zoll, a good backup pointguard for Birdy. She has experience leading a team so bigger chance that Agler will actually play her and let her run the 2nd unit!
- Re-sign Katie Smith
- Re-sign Ewelina Kobryn

Signings that are probably not going to happen Tongue
-Steal RFA Langhorne from the Mystics
-Steal RFA Carson from the Liberty
-Get RFA Leilani Mitchell as a backup PG

My 2012 team would look like this (if Griner/EDD/Diggins are not in the draft):

PG: Bird/Zoll
SG: TWright/Smith (or Johnson depends on how she and Stricklen do and if we can get Vesela to return)
SF: Christon/Vesela/Stricklen
PF: Little/Kobryn
C: Wauters/Arob (LJ when she comes back)
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2012 at 10:49am by Michelle89 »  

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Re: Storm 2012 and free agency
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 1:42pm

No on Christon and Wauters.  The former because she seems injury prone, the latter because she never can be counted on to come over and play.
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2012 at 1:42pm by czechchick7 »  

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

aussie36
Starter

Go Storm!

Australia
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 3:20pm

SG: TWright/Smith (or Johnson depends on how she and Stricklen do and if we can get Vesela to return)
[/quote]

LJ counts as a roster player, last we heard WNBA wasn't allowing Seattle to replace LJ with a player for Olympics as it was Seattle's choice to sign her/let her have time off, so Storm only have 10 roster spots to fill.

IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 5:53pm

aussie36 wrote on Jan 13th, 2012 at 3:20pm:

LJ counts as a roster player, last we heard WNBA wasn't allowing Seattle to replace LJ with a player for Olympics as it was Seattle's choice to sign her/let her have time off, so Storm only have 10 roster spots to fill. [/quote]

Ow i forgot then it probably means another year without a backup for Sue (T Wright not counting)

Quote:
the latter because she never can be counted on to come over and play.

Thats why i said clearly upcoming season Any other arguments on why you dont want Wauters Wink She is about as close as perfect for replacement for LJ for this season. They even have a pretty similar game. Wauters has a good faceup game loves to shoot the outside jumper and can shoot the 3 but also has a very good postup game downlow! And she can put up around 13-15 pts a game which is what we need to replace Swins numbers

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 6:10pm

Not saying Wauters isn't good.  But why go after a player that may take her time deciding whether or not she wants to come, and then likely bail out at the last minute?

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

aussie36
Starter

Go Storm!

Australia
Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 12:34am

Michelle89 wrote on Jan 13th, 2012 at 5:53pm:
Ow i forgot then it probably means another year without a backup for Sue (T Wright not counting)

Yeah it does suck. Especially trying to fill all the holes without Swin and Le'Coe too. Oh well at least 2013 is the bumper draft  Tongue I am sure we will be competitive regardless.

It's why Penny Taylor hasn't committed to Opals apparently. She feels she is letting Phoenix down and they didn't offer her the time off like the Storm did for LJ. Not that it's easy to replace Taylor but Phx said she could go if they could not have her on their active roster but WNBA said no. Just like Chicago had to let Christon go last year cos they knew she prob wouldn't play at all last season and they weren't prepared to have her on the roster and be down to 10 players already. Washington were allowed to do that sign a player for 2 weeks (for max of 2 consecutive times) because Beard was ruled out for the season but they didn't want to waive her, they still paid her contract and they had a second player on the long term injury list.

Be interesting what Taylor does... If she goes then at least Phx are down to 10 players and won't have one of their key pieces too. (Tulsa won't have Cambage and LA not O'Hea but they aren't as big losses).

IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 3:45am

aussie36 wrote on Jan 14th, 2012 at 12:34am:
Michelle89 wrote on Jan 13th, 2012 at 5:53pm:

Yeah it does suck. Especially trying to fill all the holes without Swin and Le'Coe too. Oh well at least 2013 is the bumper draft  Tongue I am sure we will be competitive regardless.

It's why Penny Taylor hasn't committed to Opals apparently. She feels she is letting Phoenix down and they didn't offer her the time off like the Storm did for LJ. Not that it's easy to replace Taylor but Phx said she could go if they could not have her on their active roster but WNBA said no. Just like Chicago had to let Christon go last year cos they knew she prob wouldn't play at all last season and they weren't prepared to have her on the roster and be down to 10 players already. Washington were allowed to do that sign a player for 2 weeks (for max of 2 consecutive times) because Beard was ruled out for the season but they didn't want to waive her, they still paid her contract and they had a second player on the long term injury list.

Be interesting what Taylor does... If she goes then at least Phx are down to 10 players and won't have one of their key pieces too. (Tulsa won't have Cambage and LA not O'Hea but they aren't as big losses).

So Penny's salary will count against the cap? Maybe thats part of the reason why they got rid of Tameka Johnson(and her big salary) for nothing (yes Riley is the same as nothing) to create capspace.

IP Logged

StormFanNo1
Veteran

Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 12:05pm

My choices would be:

SG: TWright/Smith
SF: Vesela/#2 draft pick
C:  LJ/Krivacevic/Arob

There are really strong players in the SF/SG position in this year's draft. Possible picks would be Hayes or Stricklen. (Assuming Ogwumike would be gone with #1 pick).

Cheers,

I believe!

IP Logged

StormFanNo1
Veteran

Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 3:37pm

Wouldn't it be nice if Phoenix did not keep PT and she became a free agent after the olympics? We could sign her with our newfound room in our cap space, and PT might enjoy playing alongside LJ in the WNBA.
One can dream, right? Wink

Cheers,

I believe!

IP Logged

scullyfu
Veteran

Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 3:55pm

hayes is inconsistent. let someone else take her. and they can have prahalis, too.

I'll always bleed Storm green!

IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 5:38pm

StormFanNo1 wrote on Jan 14th, 2012 at 12:05pm:
My choices would be:

SG: TWright/Smith
SF: Vesela/#2 draft pick
C:  LJ/Krivacevic/Arob

There are really strong players in the SF/SG position in this year's draft. Possible picks would be Hayes or Stricklen. (Assuming Ogwumike would be gone with #1 pick).

Cheers,

Who are you starting at Center the first part of the season? And who is going to score the points with that starting line-up.
You cant demand 20 pts from Bird and also set everyone up

IP Logged

StormFanNo1
Veteran

Reply #11 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 12:11am

ARob will start in place of LJ during the first half. She has done well whenever she is allowed to play extended minutes.
Scoring would be by committee. Bird, Smith, Little, and T are capable of scoring 20 points on any given day. We focus on defense and search for the hot hand during games. We don't have to dominate early in the season. We just have to hold the fort until LJ comes back.

Cheers,

I believe!

IP Logged

aussie36
Starter

Go Storm!

Australia
Reply #12 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 1:49am

StormFanNo1 wrote on Jan 14th, 2012 at 3:37pm:
Wouldn't it be nice if Phoenix did not keep PT and she became a free agent after the olympics? We could sign her with our newfound room in our cap space, and PT might enjoy playing alongside LJ in the WNBA.
One can dream, right? Wink

Cheers,

Pretty sure she has already signed a multi yr extension, hence feeling like she is letting Phx down if she takes half season off.

IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #13 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 5:18am

StormFanNo1 wrote on Jan 15th, 2012 at 12:11am:
ARob will start in place of LJ during the first half. She has done well whenever she is allowed to play extended minutes.
Scoring would be by committee. Bird, Smith, Little, and T are capable of scoring 20 points on any given day. We focus on defense and search for the hot hand during games. We don't have to dominate early in the season. We just have to hold the fort until LJ comes back.

Cheers,

Oke but if one of those 4 scores 20 and the other 3 score each in double-figures lets say 10 (so 4 players in double figures which is pretty good balance). And you get about 12 pts from the bench. Thats still only 62 points total last season we were almost the lowest scoring team with 70-74 pts Undecided

Even with fantastic defense your not going to win a lot of games that way.

IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #14 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 1:56pm

Quote:
Agler is planning a trip overseas at the end of this month with Karen Bryant, the team's president and CEO. The first stop is Israel and there are also plans to visit players in Spain. But that's not just to see C Lauren Jackson or G Tanisha Wright, an unrestricted free agent who plans to re-sign with the Storm. (UPDATE) Players like C Ann Wauters and former Storm F Jana Vesela also play in Spain and their status is questionable

Quote:
It's just the beginning of talks between teams and agents, though. Contracts can't be signed until Feb. 1, Bryant stating there could be news early for Seattle. As you've probably heard, the Storm has a star to replace in F Swin Cash and key reserve in F Le'coe Willingham. The bench also needs strengthening in order to challenge deep teams like Minnesota and Atlanta.

"We fully expect that this will be a very active offseason for Brian," Bryant said. "And right now the opportunities and options are endless. Obviously this is Day 1 of what is going to be an eventful offseason for us in terms of player personnel. We're only just beginning."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/womenshoopsblog/2017246330_wnba_free_agenc...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print