Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Stormfans Home | Gameday | Chat | Gallery | Links | About Us
Click here for Forum Registration information
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Storm sign Euro Point Guard (Read 1073 times)
psheehy
Veteran

Seattle is STILL the Storm's
home.Force Ten ROCKS!

Seattle
Storm sign Euro Point Guard
Apr 6th, 2012 at 10:24am

Ros Casares Valencia point guard Silvia Dominguez

Quote:
"I've watched Silvia play the last four seasons and I've seen her really mature as a player," said Agler. "She's proven to be one of the top point guards in Europe and she's a proven winner."

http://www.wnba.com/storm/news/dominguez120406.html

http://www.stormdefense.blogspot.com/
Just an ignorant but avid fan's random thoughts on the Storm.

Thank you Force 10, for keeping professional basketball here in Seattle.
WWW pssheehy  
IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Re: Storm sign Euro Point Guard
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 2:42pm

This could put to rest the possibility (however slim it might've been) of Agler taking Prahalis with the #2 pick.  He's shown his preference of vets/foreign players over rookies in the past.  He might not have wanted to hand the reins over to a rookie (as in "right out of college") to be the backup PG.

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 3:09pm

Great signing! Agler hates to play rookies but Dominquez is not a rookie and she has a lot of international experience. So she can give Sue some extra minutes rest without having to worry about her leading the team and too much dropoff. She has great chemistry with Wauters(watch out for some alley-oop passes this season  Shocked Cool ) and LJ so i see her fitting well with the team!!

Having seen her this whole euroleague season and last season i think she has really grown and eventually became the starter PG for Ros Casares and she played a great Euroleague final 8 deserving the PG spot on the all tournament team Smiley Big upgrade over Quigley IMO.

Normally he subs T Wright at the 5 minute mark so that she can come back later to sub for Sue. But i think if Katie doesnt start she will come in for T at around the 5 minute mark and then in the end of the quarter(with 1-2 minutes left) maybe Dominquez can come in for Birdy.

Roster (1st half season):
PG: Bird, Dominquez, Quigley
SG: T Wright, Smith, 2nd pick
SF: Thompson (Smith)
PF: Little, Dunlap
C: Wauters, Kobryn

Roster(2nd half season)
PG: Bird, Dominquez
SG: T Wright, Smith, 2nd pick
SF: Thompson (Smith)
PF: LJ, Dunlap
C: Little, Wauters, Kobryn

Tbh i expect with the signing of Dominquez that Agler will choose a bigger player to take that 11th spot on the roster hopefully a SF or PF. We dont need 3 PG's(when we mostly only play 1) When LJ comes back Quigley or that other 11th player will be cut. I expect Kobryn to stick because she had a good Euroleague season and she was decent for the Storm last season. And just in case LJ or any other post gets hurt.

« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2012 at 3:20pm by Michelle89 »  

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 3:46pm

Nice snalysis Michelle!  I think you're pretty much spot on with your breakdown of roster and minutes.

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

FS02
Veteran

Poulsbo, WA
Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2012 at 12:34pm

czechchick7 wrote on Apr 6th, 2012 at 2:42pm:
This could put to rest the possibility (however slim it might've been) of Agler taking Prahalis with the #2 pick.  He's shown his preference of vets/foreign players over rookies in the past.  He might not have wanted to hand the reins over to a rookie (as in "right out of college") to be the backup PG.

Yeah, I didn't see that happening either.

Once you label me you negate me.
~Soren Kierkegaard
IP Logged

DwgsStormFan
Veteran

Seattle, WA
Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2012 at 12:50pm

Now I wonder what he is going to do - trade the number 2 for someone's 1st round draft pick next year. We can't afford to give any more players away to get a high pick next year.

I just want to say too bad Nneka had such a fabulous year - the Sparks might be looking to get someone else. She is such a dominant player. I look forward to seeing her make the transition to the WNBA. Shouldn't take long. Too bad it will be on the Sparks team.

2010 was even better than 2004
hspeegle  
IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 5:58am

Quote:
Now I wonder what he is going to do - trade the number 2 for someone's 1st round draft pick next year. We can't afford to give any more players away to get a high pick next year.

I think he is going to keep the 2nd pick. Katie Smith will have to play a lot of time at the SF position because Thompson cant handle a lot of minutes at that position. So that means we dont have a backup for T Wright. So i expect him to pick Shenise Johnson (maybe play some minutes at the 3 as well)

IP Logged

StormFanNo1
Veteran

Reply #7 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 3:24pm

I agree. We should be looking for someone capable of playing both SF and SG positions from the draft.

Cheers,

I believe!

IP Logged

psheehy
Veteran

Seattle is STILL the Storm's
home.Force Ten ROCKS!

Seattle
Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 8:53am

I have a gut feeling that Quigley is not making the roster. 

Alysha Clark was a fantastic post player in college (she is WAY too small to play the post in the W) and has been converting to a wing overseas.  She was a top five player and MVP candidate in the Israeli league this year averaging 15 pts and 8 rebounds and almost 39% three point shooting which would put her in the top 20 from deep in the W were the numbers to carry over.  Sue Bird (43%) and Katie Smith (~40%) were the only Storm players to average more than that from deep last season.  Swin Cash was the next closest at ~29%.

Here talent, basketball and lack of depth on the wing could make her more of a prospect than standard training camp fodder.

http://www.stormdefense.blogspot.com/
Just an ignorant but avid fan's random thoughts on the Storm.

Thank you Force 10, for keeping professional basketball here in Seattle.
WWW pssheehy  
IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #9 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 12:51pm

psheehy wrote on Apr 10th, 2012 at 8:53am:
I have a gut feeling that Quigley is not making the roster. 

Alysha Clark was a fantastic post player in college (she is WAY too small to play the post in the W) and has been converting to a wing overseas.  She was a top five player and MVP candidate in the Israeli league this year averaging 15 pts and 8 rebounds and almost 39% three point shooting which would put her in the top 20 from deep in the W were the numbers to carry over.  Sue Bird (43%) and Katie Smith (~40%) were the only Storm players to average more than that from deep last season.  Swin Cash was the next closest at ~29%.

Here talent, basketball and lack of depth on the wing could make her more of a prospect than standard training camp fodder.

She may also be too small for a small forward at 5'10. With most SF's being 6' or 6'1

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print