Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Stormfans Home | Gameday | Chat | Gallery | Links | About Us
Click here for Forum Registration information
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pay for Olympic NBA players? (Read 1880 times)
strumpet22
Veteran

Pay for Olympic NBA players?
Apr 11th, 2012 at 7:01pm

IP Logged

StormFanNo1
Veteran

Re: Pay for Olympic NBA players?
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 3:44pm

I think they get plenty of money from private endorsement contracts because they represented the USA in the olympics. I don't think they need more.

Cheers,

I believe!

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 5:22pm

What?!  Shocked  They don't get paid enough during the season? 

Representing your country is an honor. That should be enough.

But if they win a medal, the USOC already pays them up to $50,000 for a gold.  Why should they get more?

As for those saying they're playing in their "off" season and should be compensated for not getting a chance to rest...go cry that to the women's team and see how much sympathy they'd (not) give.  The women play year round (no off season) and have made a commitment to the National Team for years, not just every 4 for the Olympics.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2012 at 5:33pm by czechchick7 »  

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

scullyfu
Veteran

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 6:20pm

wait...men play basketball?  Tongue

I'll always bleed Storm green!

IP Logged

walker
Starter

Seattle
Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 9:50pm

This is CRAZY!  Do not comprehend.

IP Logged

Wingardium
Veteran

What The Duck?

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 10:16pm

I think the USA men's team needs to revert to non-professional status.
The experiment has worked, and basketball has spread world-wide. So- time to end it.
Let non-American pros play for their national teams, and field a squad of US "amateurs".
Maybe that will restore the sense that being on the team is an honor.

Sure we're a niche sport. But we have two championship trophies in OUR niche....

IP Logged

strumpet22
Veteran

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2012 at 11:13am

czechchick7 wrote on Apr 12th, 2012 at 5:22pm:
As for those saying they're playing in their "off" season and should be compensated for not getting a chance to rest...go cry that to the women's team and see how much sympathy they'd (not) give.  The women play year round (no off season) and have made a commitment to the National Team for years, not just every 4 for the Olympics.

This is the second time I've seen Ray Allen say something like that. Years ago he complained after the Sonics sold their private jet and the team had to use charter planes. He was annoyed that it threw a kink in their schedule and they had to wait 2 hours before leaving. Let me clarify, he was complaining that they had to wait one time. Usually, even a charter plane, leaves out of Boeing field (not SeaTac), you can pull up half an hour before takeoff and security is 2 seconds. Then you have the plane to yourself. None of this commercial flights business that the women have to put up with. Remember that one time the Storm's original flight was canceled and the team had to take two planes back on the day of a game? But they weren't sure if the second plane would land in time for tipoff so they had to put all the starters on the first flight. It's just a very skewed perspective from some of the men. I understand that this is 95% about jersey sales and 5% national basketball pride, but I agree. I'd be interested in returning to team oriented, non-pro athletes.

I could also go on a rant about what it means to represent your country, like the female boxer from Afghanistan who will be only the third woman sent from Afghanistan in the history of their Olympics. Or how the US team can kind of phone it in for the first few games before having to really play ball in the medal rounds (though maybe a little more serious than how they played in 2004). Or, yeah, how they already make an insane amount of money. But whatever.

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2012 at 11:19am

strumpet22 wrote on Apr 13th, 2012 at 11:13am:
I could also go on a rant about what it means to represent your country, like the female boxer from Afghanistan who will be only the third woman sent from Afghanistan in the history of their Olympics. Or how the US team can kind of phone it in for the first few games before having to really play ball in the medal rounds (though maybe a little more serious than how they played in 2004). Or, yeah, how they already make an insane amount of money. But whatever.

Ray Allen and Dwayne Wade can be left at home for all I care.  Then they won't have to worry about getting their rest, someone making money from jersey sales, or not getting paid. 

There's plenty of talent in the US to field a few men's teams capable of bringing home a medal, much like the women.  I'm sure there's players willing to play for the HONOR of representing their country and don't give a hoot about money.

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

FS02
Veteran

Poulsbo, WA
Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2012 at 2:58pm

Yeah, let some non-whiney, up-and-coming young guys play for our country, then I'd be more interested.

Once you label me you negate me.
~Soren Kierkegaard
IP Logged

norwester
YaBB Moderator

It's apt. APT!

Seattle
Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 2:00pm

Not that I agree with the ridiculous pay to play concept, but to be fair, I believe that the reporter asked Wade if he would like more money if it was available. Who's going to say no to that? We live in a capitalistic society. I'm just saying. I agree that they should be less whiney, but they aren't usually whining in a context of being compared with every other Olympic sport and participating country in the world, so I don't think that's their natural perspective. Their market (the NBA) is about the haves and the haves and being paid millions to ride a charter plane and sit on a bench. It's a skewed perspective.

From an Olympic perspective, I agree that they need to pull their heads out, though.  Angry

As far as scrapping the NBA idea, that makes no sense. I'm fine with taking lesser-knowns, but a majority of the European and Asian national teams are made up of players who play in a professional (club) team in that country or another, including the NBA.  It's not the NBA itself that's the problem.

"I guess Lisa is a little mental."
http://norwestersdownpour.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

scowl
Veteran

Portland, OR
Reply #10 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 8:14pm

How about they get paid depending on what medal they come home with?

"I know a lot of people who've gone to jail." -- Diana Taurasi
WWW scowl97201 scowlpdx  
IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #11 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 9:44am

scowl wrote on Apr 17th, 2012 at 8:14pm:
How about they get paid depending on what medal they come home with?

The USOC already does that. In '08, it was 25k for gold, 15k for silver, 10k for bronze.  I think it has gone up since then.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2012 at 9:48am by czechchick7 »  

IP Logged

scowl
Veteran

Portland, OR
Reply #12 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 9:56pm

czechchick7 wrote on Apr 18th, 2012 at 9:44am:
The USOC already does that. In '08, it was 25k for gold, 15k for silver, 10k for bronze.  I think it has gone up since then.

That seems fair then.

"I know a lot of people who've gone to jail." -- Diana Taurasi
WWW scowl97201 scowlpdx  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print