Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hanging it up (Read 2053 times)
Scott
Admin

Seattle, WA
Hanging it up
Apr 12th, 2012 at 4:39pm

I've been thinking about this for a long time, and I've decided to officially semi-retire from creating content for Stormfans.org. No more game reports. No more photos. For the first time since the Storm's first season, I'm going to just be a fan this season.

Things fizzled out last season for a number of reasons and I found that the desire to do the game reports or post photos wasn't there any more. Part of it is the fact that the need isn't there any longer. When we started this site, there was really nothing out there besides a couple general WNBA forums. Now, there is a glut of online content, including the ability for anyone with an Internet connection to watch games on the web. One of the reasons I started doing game and event reports was because there we so many people outside of Seattle who had no way of experiencing Storm games. That's no longer true.

Another part of it is that there are several other people who are doing their own reports and posting photos and doing a much better or more thorough job than I have been.

And finally, I've been feeling that the site, if I wanted to remain serious about it, needs a complete makeover to bring it up to modern standards and to incorporate social media. I don't have the time nor do I have the desire to keep up with the Jonses. There are existing Facebook and Twitter efforts out there that I hope you all are already following. We don't need new ones.

I'm not closing the site. The forum will continue on for those who want to use it. I'll continue to add new members as they find us. I'll probably spend more time here to be honest since I won't be spending hours after each game writing up a report or going through a few hundred images.

Angie and I told ourselves at the beginning that we'd do this for as long as it was fun. That ended a couple years ago. I think we maintained it through the 2010 Championship and then through the beginning of the next season (and our tenth anniversary), but after that things dropped off pretty quickly.

So, carry on as you have. Like I said, the site isn't going anywhere. The forum isn't going anywhere. We're still going to be diehard Storm fans, but that's all we're going to be for awhile.

Thanks and see you at the Key this summer,
Scott

I, sir, am not a dog. But if I were, I would bite you thusly!
WWW http://www.facebook.com/scott.engelhardt  
IP Logged

walker
Starter

Seattle
Re: Hanging it up
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 5:19pm

Thanks so very, very, very much Scott and Angie for all you have done, for all this time! And thanks Scott, for leaving stormfans.org up (for now.)

IP Logged

scullyfu
Veteran

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 6:16pm

a BIG THANKS to both you and angie for hanging in as long as you did. you've helped to build a fan base for the storm that is respected throughout the league.

i'm glad to hear that you will be 'just a fan' for the first time in what must seem like forever. there's something to be said for just being involved in the game and not worrying about 'getting the shot'.

so, again, thanks to both you and angie for helping to create a home for storm fans. Smiley i'll see you at the games!

I'll always bleed Storm green!

IP Logged

Wingardium
Veteran

What The Duck?

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 10:08pm

Huge and heartfelt thanks to you two for all your hard work.
I venture to say the Storm experience wouldn't have become what it is without this website.
Kick back and enjoy yourselves... you've earned it!!

Sure we're a niche sport. But we have two championship trophies in OUR niche....

IP Logged

StormFanNo1
Veteran

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 10:59pm

Wingardium wrote on Apr 12th, 2012 at 10:08pm:
Huge and heartfelt thanks to you two for all your hard work.
I venture to say the Storm experience wouldn't have become what it is without this website.
Kick back and enjoy yourselves... you've earned it!!

My thoughts exactly!

I believe!

IP Logged

Awase
Veteran

WA
Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2012 at 9:03am

Ditto, thanks for all your efforts over the past 10+ years.  I've met so many wonderful people that I never would have met if it hadn't been for this website.  I'm so glad that you and Angie brought the Storm experience to thousands of fans around the world.  Happy game watching.

"Undefeated in the f***ing playoffs!" Sue Effing Bird to Swin Cash 9/16/2010

IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2012 at 1:18pm

Thank you for all you have done. I am really glad that i found this site to talk to fellow Storm fans Smiley and thank you so much for keeping the forum so that we all still can cheer on the Storm on here  Wink

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2012 at 2:42pm

Awase wrote on Apr 13th, 2012 at 9:03am:
Ditto, thanks for all your efforts over the past 10+ years.  I've met so many wonderful people that I never would have met if it hadn't been for this website.  I'm so glad that you and Angie brought the Storm experience to thousands of fans around the world.  Happy game watching.

Echoing the same sentiments.  Because of you and Angie, you've made it possible for Storm fans everywhere to unite in one place.  I've met some really good friends from all over the country and the world because of this board.

THANK YOU!

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

dads_n_daughters
Starter

WA
Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 11:34am

Just as everyone else says. thanks for all the work the two of you have done. Hardly a day goes by when I don't drop by the forum to see what's going on.

I am the reason spell ceckers were invented (looki t up).

IP Logged

DwgsStormFan
Veteran

Seattle, WA
Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 8:43pm

Thank you Scott and Angie. This forum gave me a place where I could discuss the Seattle Storm ... players, coaches, other teams ... and a host of other topics. It has been great fun and thank you for your tremendous passion.

Enjoy the season - simply!

2010 was even better than 2004
hspeegle  
IP Logged

amdg
Veteran

Reply #10 - Apr 15th, 2012 at 11:35am

I found this website in 2003 and it's still one of my favorite sites.  Thanks Scott and Angie for making the Storm experience visible to people outside the States like me.  This site even made it possible for me to watch games in person. Smiley Now you can finally sit back, relax and watch the game, and you guys deserve it.  Thank you!  Smiley

Ours is a stormy kind of love. - U2
IP Logged

Anotherfan
Veteran

WA
Reply #11 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 11:29am

what everybody else said! Thanks Scott and Angie!!

IP Logged

aussie36
Starter

Go Storm!

Australia
Reply #12 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 3:49am

Thanks Scott and Angie! A major reason I had such a great Seattle trip last year was because of some of the amazing friends I had met on this board who kindly showed me around and many other things during my time there, all of which wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for this board!

IP Logged

lovesyo
Starter

Reply #13 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 4:30pm

THANK YOU Scott and Angie for all the hours and the passion you have put into Stormfans.org.  Many times I have relied on the site for information and insight available nowhere else.  You have truly made a difference for so many of us.  Enjoy the games!

IP Logged

lej15
Starter

Australia
Reply #14 - Apr 22nd, 2012 at 7:01am

Heartfelt thanks Scott and Angie.  You made it possible for fans in other countries to feel part of the Storm fan base.  Thank you so much for the reports and great photos that took us to the games.  Enjoy just being a fan.  Cheers.  Smiley

"That meant a lot," Cash said. "When your best player is talking like that, getting you motivated, showing her humility, you have to fall in line."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print