Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Stormfans Home | Gameday | Chat | Gallery | Links | About Us
Click here for Forum Registration information
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
USA BB Team vs China, Key Arena, May 12, 7:30 p.m (Read 1874 times)
walker
Starter

Seattle
USA BB Team vs China, Key Arena, May 12, 7:30 p.m
Apr 12th, 2012 at 5:25pm

http://www.wnba.com/storm/news/usab120412.html

They also sent an e-mail message out to STHs, giving us the opportunity to buy tickets for this game and to sit in our usual seats.  Seemed pricey to me, but I have no experience with these sort of games. 

IP Logged

bcdawg04
Veteran

WA
Re: USA BB Team vs China, Key Arena, May 12, 7:30 p.m
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 5:46pm

I'm stoked!

I didn't think it was pricey--it looks like my seat is the same price as my STH seat. This is an amazing opportunity, and it doesn't come around very often. According to the article, the NT hasn't been in town since 1995. 1995!! This is super cool.

"One of these days, you're going to make a ref cry."&&&&"I know you!  You're a Hooligan!"

IP Logged

scullyfu
Veteran

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 7:24pm

i agree with bcdawg04 that the price of the tix is great for a chance to see the olympic team in action and we don't have to go back east or even london. Wink

i just bought mine. let the countdown begin. woohoo~~

I'll always bleed Storm green!

IP Logged

walker
Starter

Seattle
Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 9:47pm

Thanks!  I am sold.

IP Logged

Awase
Veteran

WA
Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2012 at 9:05am

I just bought mine, they were the same price as my season ticket seat price.  What an awesome opportunity for the Seattle basketball community.  I'm guessing that Force 10 was a force behind the decision to have this camp in Seattle, and I salute them for their efforts (PAC-12 tourney) to increase the visibility of women's basketball.

"Undefeated in the f***ing playoffs!" Sue Effing Bird to Swin Cash 9/16/2010

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2012 at 9:41am

I think Seattle wbb fans need to take a well-deserved bow as well.  From what I've read, that was a big selling point in getting both the Pac-12 tourney and Olympic camp here in Seattle.  What better way to showcase both events than in front of big, loud, passionate, knowledgeable fans.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2012 at 2:39pm by czechchick7 »  

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2012 at 1:25pm

czechchick7 wrote on Apr 13th, 2012 at 9:41am:
I think Seattle wbb fans need to take a well-deserved bow as well.  From what I've read, that was a big selling point in getting both the Pac-12 rtourney and Olympic camp here in Seattle.  What better way to showcase both events than in front of big, loud, passionate, knowledgeable fans.

Hopefully the game will be shown on liveacces

IP Logged

Storm04.10
Veteran

Swin it to WIN IT!

Reply #7 - May 12th, 2012 at 10:53pm

That was a very enjoyable night of basketball at the Key. No obnoxious soundtrack going on, no screaming at the refs for every perceived slight, no tv timeouts. It was all about the game and I loved it.

We had an asian family off to our right and the only reason I noticed them is because they were cheering for the Chinese team. The older woman had a huge smile on her face every time I looked over. Nice for her to get a chance for her to cheer for HER home country team.

"I'm not going to back down from anyone, I don't care how big you are or fast or strong or whatever. That's just not my style."

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #8 - May 12th, 2012 at 10:57pm

Well, crowd wasn't that big or loud.  I think people were being "polite" to Chinese by not rooting too hard against them when it became a blowout.  Nice to hear applause whenever China had a good play/shot. 

Funny moment-Angel screwed up an assignment, and Geno got off the bench and gestured a "What was that?" to her.  Almost the very next play, she led a fast break where she was the only player (US or China) around.  She first looked for a teammate, then looked at Geno as if to say "Can I still take the layup?"  She's learning it's not about her and it's not her team-there's a pecking order on the US team and she's near the bottom.

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

StormFanNo1
Veteran

Reply #9 - May 12th, 2012 at 11:06pm

It became a blowout midway through the second quarter. There wasn't much excitement in the game afterwards. The crowd simply applauded whenever a player from either team made a good play.
Bird and Swin got huge applause at the introductions.

Catchings was the star player. She pretty much did whatever she wanted to do out there, steals, scoring, rebounding, and everything else...

Cheers,

I believe!

IP Logged

teakitty
Rookie

Sky's the Limit!

Seattle
Reply #10 - May 13th, 2012 at 12:14am

I was surprised the crowd wasn't bigger tonight.  There had not been that much publicity.  Also, why wasn't there some sort of ceremonial welcome for such an important women's basketball event?

Anyone have some insight on why this exhibition game was treated like a "stepsister" ? Huh
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2012 at 12:15am by teakitty »  

IP Logged

scowl
Veteran

Portland, OR
Reply #11 - May 13th, 2012 at 12:41am

I went to a similar game against the Canadian team around 2000 in Oakland (of all places). It wasn't a big crowd and it wasn't a good game.

My highlight of that game was throwing the basketball to Stacy Dales after it went out of bounds and rolled under my seat.

"I know a lot of people who've gone to jail." -- Diana Taurasi
WWW scowl97201 scowlpdx  
IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #12 - May 13th, 2012 at 9:31am

teakitty wrote on May 13th, 2012 at 12:14am:
I was surprised the crowd wasn't bigger tonight.  There had not been that much publicity.  Also, why wasn't there some sort of ceremonial welcome for such an important women's basketball event?

Anyone have some insight on why this exhibition game was treated like a "stepsister" ? Huh

Brewer had a nice article in the Times today after the fact.  Would've been nice if that kind of write-up had been before the game to drum up some interest and more ticket sales.

IP Logged

Milkdud
Starter

WNBA Champs 2004, 2010...

Seattle
Reply #13 - May 14th, 2012 at 5:52pm

Let's not forget it was sunny in Seattle. 
I heard that many more tickets were sold than used.

Patience is not a virtue, it is a waste of time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print