Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Draft! (Read 2072 times)
Anotherfan
Veteran

WA
Draft!
Apr 16th, 2012 at 11:35am

Woo hoo! Looking good for us -- Shekinna Stricklen looks like just what we need!

will really miss Swin tho Sad

IP Logged

norwester
YaBB Moderator

It's apt. APT!

Seattle
Re: Draft!
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 1:09pm

Stricklen? Really? She was someone I was hoping we'd pass on. She seems to have a good attitude and be a good person, but she's inconsistent in the way of Izi or Michelle Snow or Tweety Nolan or any number of people who can dazzle you with talent one game, and disapper the next. She epitomizes what has been "wrong" with this Tennessee class since they were freshmen. She might fill a slot, but I was hoping for a better competitor to one day shoulder some of the burden as Sue and Lauren, et al age.

But then again: 2012 draft. It's all been kind of an eye roll after the first pick. I might have preferred someone more consistent like Johnson. Fortunately we have other starts who have shown the ability and willingness to assume responsibility for the Storm. Unfortunately, we had a lottery pick in this draft.

</rant>? Or am I just being realistic? Wink

"I guess Lisa is a little mental."
http://norwestersdownpour.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 1:31pm

norwester wrote on Apr 16th, 2012 at 1:09pm:
Stricklen? Really? She was someone I was hoping we'd pass on. She seems to have a good attitude and be a good person, but she's inconsistent in the way of Izi or Michelle Snow or Tweety Nolan or any number of people who can dazzle you with talent one game, and disapper the next. She epitomizes what has been "wrong" with this Tennessee class since they were freshmen. She might fill a slot, but I was hoping for a better competitor to one day shoulder some of the burden as Sue and Lauren, et al age.

But then again: 2012 draft. It's all been kind of an eye roll after the first pick. I might have preferred someone more consistent like Johnson. Fortunately we have other starts who have shown the ability and willingness to assume responsibility for the Storm. Unfortunately, we had a lottery pick in this draft.

</rant>? Or am I just being realistic? Wink

No, not a rant. You echoed exactly what I thought about this draft all along and now this pick. 

Let's hope we end up seeing in games whatever Agler saw in her during that private workout.  Otherwise, we wasted the highest draft pick we've had in 10 years on her and gave up Swin to get her...
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2012 at 1:32pm by czechchick7 »  

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

norwester
YaBB Moderator

It's apt. APT!

Seattle
Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 1:35pm

The thing is, she did have an upside that is worthy of a #2 pick. And I can totally see her displaying that in a private workout: it's a controlled situation, and expectations and consequences are crystal clear.

But if a player can't find consistency in college, it's been shown that they'll never reach their "upside" in the WNBA. Instead we'll be left with a frustrating glimpse of "what could be" and years of gnashing of teeth. Sigh.  Undecided

IP Logged

FS02
Veteran

Poulsbo, WA
Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 1:44pm

At least I think the Storm got good value in the second round with Hampton out of DePaul.  She was slated to be a first-rounder before she got hurt.

Once you label me you negate me.
~Soren Kierkegaard
IP Logged

norwester
YaBB Moderator

It's apt. APT!

Seattle
Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 1:49pm

I agree about Hampton. But I'm also worried that she'll be cut before we get to see any of that potential, because I heard that she could be "ready to play" THIS summer. I'll have to look at our roster to see if there's a slot, but I'd think more of her chances if she wouldn't be ready to go until this winter...

IP Logged

StormFanNo1
Veteran

Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 1:49pm

Well, After Ogwumike, no one in the draft was really an impact player. We could have gone with any of the Johnsons or Stricklen, and questions would be asked about any of them.

So while this pick deserves the response "eh", there was no other that would generate a better response.

Cheers,

I believe!

IP Logged

norwester
YaBB Moderator

It's apt. APT!

Seattle
Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 1:52pm

I would have preferred a Johnson. Probably Shenise.

IP Logged

scullyfu
Veteran

Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 1:55pm

i wonder what birdy and t think about passing on shenise johnson? supposedly they told agler they wanted a guard so they didn't have to log so many minutes.

i see stricklen as just another in a long line of lousy storm first round picks. we haven't had a good first round pick since t in '05 and even she took four years to start playing to her potential.

but i hope she surprises the hell out of me and learns to bring it each and every practice minute and on the game court.

i agree with fs02, the one good pick that did come out of this draft was keisha hampton. she says she's working towards being ready this season. that'd be great, but if not, it seems agler is willing to wait on her til 2013.

now i see why the storm didn't go forward with the talks about a draft day party. if we didn't have a chance at nneka, and we didn't after none of the 2013'ers declared, then who really cared. as a #2 pick, stricklen is not a player who makes you want to jump up and down and scream. <shrug>

I'll always bleed Storm green!

IP Logged

FS02
Veteran

Poulsbo, WA
Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 1:55pm

norwester wrote on Apr 16th, 2012 at 1:49pm:
I agree about Hampton. But I'm also worried that she'll be cut before we get to see any of that potential, because I heard that she could be "ready to play" THIS summer. I'll have to look at our roster to see if there's a slot, but I'd think more of her chances if she wouldn't be ready to go until this winter...

Agler said he wants her to sit out this year and get fully healthy.  She's not so good that she's going to make it when not 100%.

Once you label me you negate me.
~Soren Kierkegaard
IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #10 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 1:56pm

norwester wrote on Apr 16th, 2012 at 1:52pm:

I would've prefered Glory Johnson over Stricklen.  At least you know she'll show up and work hard the whole game, not disappear for long stretches.

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

norwester
YaBB Moderator

It's apt. APT!

Seattle
Reply #11 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 2:01pm

czechchick7 wrote on Apr 16th, 2012 at 1:56pm:
norwester wrote on Apr 16th, 2012 at 1:52pm:

I would've prefered Glory Johnson over Stricklen.  At least you know she'll show up and work hard the whole game, not disappear for long stretches.

True. I just thought that she showed some poor judgment in the Tournament. Or was too emotional or something. I might be mixing her up with Stricklen, though. Which doesn't make me feel any better. Wink

IP Logged

scullyfu
Veteran

Reply #12 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 2:03pm

taking nneka out of the equation, i think tulsa had a terrific draft. they got glory johnson, riquna williams, vicki baugh and lynetta kizer. with the tulsa roster, and with no liz for the first half of the season, they all have a good shot of making the squad.

otoh, WTH is going on in libertyland? kelly cain at #7? whiz needs to even stop trying to look like he's doing anything other than tanking to get a shot at griner. jmac will not be joining the libs this year either. wonder when cappie starts demanding another trade? Wink

let the trades begin!
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2012 at 2:05pm by scullyfu »  

I'll always bleed Storm green!

IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #13 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 2:10pm

FS02 wrote on Apr 16th, 2012 at 1:55pm:
norwester wrote on Apr 16th, 2012 at 1:49pm:

Agler said he wants her to sit out this year and get fully healthy.  She's not so good that she's going to make it when not 100%.

Agler says that because there is no way in hell that she will make this roster this year even if healthy. This roster is pretty full.

My first reaction was OMG WTF. Shenise would be a much better pick. To backup T Wright at the SG position so that Smith could play some more minutes at the 3 spot because TT can not handle that position for more then 20minutes  Huh

With picking Stricklen he thinks he will have a future replacement for swin but thats not going to happen in the next 3-4 years though if at all! So that means TT/Dunlap/Stricklen at the SF position Sad
Quote:
4u brian agler brian agler ‏ @brian_agler
Still taking calls from other teams, multiple scenarios. Do we make a trade or take our fav player @ #2?
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2012 at 2:11pm by Michelle89 »  

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #14 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 2:20pm

Agree on Tulsa.  But that's the difference between having Richardson and Kloppenburg at the helm.  One had no clue about the WNBA, the other is fully committed to making Tulsa a good team.

And Whiz-I don't think he could be more obvious in his attempt to tank for next year's draft.  I'd love it if NY dropped to 4th in the lottery and missed out on Griner, Delle Donne, and Diggins! 

NY fans better hope that's what he's trying to do.  Otherwise, the thought of him doing this in an effort to build a championship team is a very scary one indeed.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print