Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Stormfans Home | Gameday | Chat | Gallery | Links | About Us
Click here for Forum Registration information
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Training camp signings (Read 5081 times)
czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Training camp signings
Apr 24th, 2012 at 10:00am

Jacqua Williams, formerly of Georgia Tech-

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/042312aab.html

Sounds like training camp fodder...

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Re: Training camp signings
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 11:27am

So far we have Williams, Clark, Allison, Kobryn and then Dominquez(can only be a training camp contract because she is a rookie) invited to training camp. Did i miss anyone? And i only see Dominguez and Kobryn making the 10player roster

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 5:25pm

Here's a few more-

http://www.wnba.com/storm/news/roster120425.html

One is Lindsey Taylor-a blast from the past (training camp).

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

StormFanNo1
Veteran

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 6:53pm

Except for the last player our roster is pretty much set. So I don't see any one of these making the team.
Perhaps they are here to gain some experience and claim that they trained with a WNBA team. The latter is  a valuable marketing item when looking for a position playing overseas.

Cheers,

I believe!

IP Logged

norwester
YaBB Moderator

It's apt. APT!

Seattle
Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 10:41am

Yeah, I think most realize that there isn't really a lot of room on our roster. But apart from perhaps helping their overseas stock, if they're still interested in making the WNBA someday, and working on their games, keeping their game fresh in the minds of coaches is a positive thing. If we (heaven forbid, knock on wood, etc.) have an injury, we're more likely to grab a player who's been in camp than a total unknown to fill a temporary contract.

For the team, it's a win because we need "training camp bodies", particularly with the early start and relatively late arrival of starters. Players to come in and compete and help work the team into playing shape much like the male practice squad.

"I guess Lisa is a little mental."
http://norwestersdownpour.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

FS02
Veteran

Poulsbo, WA
Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 2:54pm

I like to keep an open mind about the last players on the bench (I need some reason to be interested in camp!) but it's true this is a hard team to make. 

I see there being 8 players locked in:

Sue
LJ
T. Wright
Little
Wauters
Smith
Stricklen
TT

Then three players very likely to make it:

Dunlap, Kobryn and Dominguez

Dunlap is youth and had decent stats in limited duty last year for Washington; Kobryn is a Storm vet and Agler seems to trust her; the new PG fills a possible need and she's coming in to camp late... I think Agler wouldn't be allowing that if he didn't really like her. 

But none of these three is 'proven' so I would not be totally surprised if something changes.

If it doesn't:

Bird / Dominguez
Wright / Smith / Stricklen
?? Dunlap / Stricklen / Smith (in some order)
Little / Thompson (LJ)
Wauters / Kobryn

Once you label me you negate me.
~Soren Kierkegaard
IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 3:06pm

I would be suprised but that is because ive seen them play overseas this season(Kobryn and Dominquez) And how Agler talks about Dunlap i dont see them waiving her either nor they should. She played well for the Mystics when Langhorne was down.

Sue will be arriving to training camp late as well. She just finished winning the russian league so she will return to Seattle soon. But i expect her to join training camp a little later to get some rest and to give others some more days at training camp just like last season. So Agler doesnt have his 2 PG's in camp for atleast the first few days. Thats why the signing of  training camp players like Criner

IP Logged

FS02
Veteran

Poulsbo, WA
Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2012 at 6:32pm

Michelle89 wrote on Apr 27th, 2012 at 3:06pm:
I would be suprised but that is because ive seen them play overseas this season(Kobryn and Dominquez) And how Agler talks about Dunlap i dont see them waiving her either nor they should. She played well for the Mystics when Langhorne was down.

So, in your opinion, they're very likely to make the roster?

~Soren Kierkegaard
IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2012 at 8:46am

FS02 wrote on Apr 28th, 2012 at 6:32pm:

Yes i expect Dominquez, Kobryn and Dunlap to make the roster. And i would be very suprised if they dont make it Wink

-Dominquez: because she is PG with a lot of overseas+national experience (back 2back Euroleague titles with Avenida and Ros as starter PG) and her chemistry with Wauters and LJ winning 2 championships(Spanish title and Euroleague) this offseason. This gives her an edge over Quigley(who is more of a shooter then a PG IMO and only played in garbage minutes last season) or any other PG. Agler doesnt play rookie PG's.

- Kobryn: she brings height (now with Arob gone we need that off the bench) she has a lot of overseas/Euroleague experience(averaged 13,2 pts and 6,2 rebounds and 1,7 assists in 28 min this offseason), she knows Agler's system and she played pretty decent last season.  With Wauters and Little starting she will provide height from the bench because TT and Dunlap are 'undersized'

- Dunlap: played really well when Langhorne was down last season also vs Storm, Agler speaks highly of her and has plans for her to play at the 3 position as well, rookie contract but not a rookie anymore, brings youth(wich was a part of Agler's plan for the future)
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2012 at 8:50am by Michelle89 »  

IP Logged

FS02
Veteran

Poulsbo, WA
Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 4:02pm

Michelle89 wrote on Apr 29th, 2012 at 8:46am:

Yes i expect Dominquez, Kobryn and Dunlap to make the roster. And i would be very suprised if they dont make it Wink

-Dominquez: because she is PG with a lot of overseas+national experience (back 2back Euroleague titles with Avenida and Ros as starter PG) and her chemistry with Wauters and LJ winning 2 championships(Spanish title and Euroleague) this offseason. This gives her an edge over Quigley(who is more of a shooter then a PG IMO and only played in garbage minutes last season) or any other PG. Agler doesnt play rookie PG's.

- Kobryn: she brings height (now with Arob gone we need that off the bench) she has a lot of overseas/Euroleague experience(averaged 13,2 pts and 6,2 rebounds and 1,7 assists in 28 min this offseason), she knows Agler's system and she played pretty decent last season.  With Wauters and Little starting she will provide height from the bench because TT and Dunlap are 'undersized'

- Dunlap: played really well when Langhorne was down last season also vs Storm, Agler speaks highly of her and has plans for her to play at the 3 position as well, rookie contract but not a rookie anymore, brings youth(wich was a part of Agler's plan for the future)

Thanks for the input.  I admit I haven't been following the overseas action closely, all I know is Tanisha's Israeli team is in the finals and it's going to a fifth game (of course!)

~Soren Kierkegaard
IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #10 - May 1st, 2012 at 3:09pm

FS02 wrote on Apr 30th, 2012 at 4:02pm:
Michelle89 wrote on Apr 29th, 2012 at 8:46am:

Thanks for the input.  I admit I haven't been following the overseas action closely, all I know is Tanisha's Israeli team is in the finals and it's going to a fifth game (of course!)

If you want to see some Ros Casares games of the final 8 of the Euroleague with stormies LJ, Wauters, Dominquez and Vesela then i can send you some links to those games if you want  Smiley So that you can see how Wauters and Dominquez play  WinkThe games are pretty entertaining and of a high level with also other Ros players like Maya, Murphy, Lyttle and playing against teams with other great wnba players.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2012 at 3:10pm by Michelle89 »  

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #11 - May 1st, 2012 at 6:31pm

First casualties-Williams, Allison, and Criner all cut today.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2012 at 6:31pm by czechchick7 »  

IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #12 - May 2nd, 2012 at 3:46am

czechchick7 wrote on May 1st, 2012 at 6:31pm:
First casualties-Williams, Allison, and Criner all cut today.

To be expected. I suspect that Ashley Gayle and Ashley Corral will be cut when Kobryn/Wauters and Dominquez join in at training camp.

IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #13 - May 5th, 2012 at 10:05am

Quote:
With all Storm players done competing overseas, the coaching staff is starting to get a better sense of when players will arrive in camp. While this is still approximate and subject to change, here are tentative dates:

Sue Bird – Sunday, May 6
Silvia Dominguez – Tuesday, May 8
Ewelina Kobryn – Wednesday, May 9
Tanisha Wright – Thursday, May 10 in Tulsa, where the Storm plays its exhibition opener Friday
Ann Wauters – Sunday, May 12

IP Logged

FS02
Veteran

Poulsbo, WA
Reply #14 - May 6th, 2012 at 7:36pm

As the team USA mini camp goes from May 11 to May 13, I'm guessing Sue won't be with the Storm in Tulsa and Corral, Quigley or Dominguez will play the point (not necessarily in that order!)
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2012 at 7:37pm by FS02 »  

~Soren Kierkegaard
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print