Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Stormfans Home | Gameday | Chat | Gallery | Links | About Us
Click here for Forum Registration information
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Storm Vs. LA - Pre season (Read 3174 times)
Vegemite_Power
Starter

Vegemite Power!

Storm Vs. LA - Pre season
May 12th, 2012 at 9:35am

OK folks, what (and who) do you expect to see in this game?
And does the fact that we'll play LA "for real" on Friday change anything?

"Be Quick, but don't hurry."
     Coach John Wooden
IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Re: Storm Vs. LA - Pre season
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2012 at 9:50am

Depending on USA commitments, Sue might play.  But since the team only has this 3 day mini-camp together until right before the Olympics, I suspect they want to get as much time in together as possible.

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

DwgsStormFan
Veteran

Seattle, WA
Reply #2 - May 12th, 2012 at 12:48pm

My guess is that there will be some folks play tomorrow that will not be on the team on the 18th.  (Oh my gosh, how astute Helen).

Frankly I'm not sure that I care right now - I'm just THRILLED that the Storm are playing -- and we know that summer has begun in earnest!!!

2010 was even better than 2004
hspeegle  
IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #3 - May 12th, 2012 at 1:27pm

I think the vets will get more time in this game(except for maybe Sue who will play back to back). Less then a week before the season starts and the core players need to get more game rythm and develop chemistry on the court.

Hopefully Wauters, T Wright, Stricklen (and Kobryn) can get some decent courttime to get them ready for the season.
And pls let the visa issues with Dominquez be solved soon because Quigley and Corral are certainly not the answer for backup PG

IP Logged

FS02
Veteran

Poulsbo, WA
Reply #4 - May 12th, 2012 at 6:15pm

Here's the thing.  I hope Dominguez comes in and wows everybody, but we know how demanding Agler is and we know Birdy, Wright, Wauters and Camille are all going to be starters with Smith, Thompson and Stricklen getting a lot of minutes (one of them starting) so that's the top 7, there's not that many minutes to go around to the rest of them anyway--barring injury.  So I'm not stressing about it.

I think we want to see what Dunlap can do as well, since she's young and American and likely to be here for awhile if she works out.

Once you label me you negate me.
~Soren Kierkegaard
IP Logged

StormFanNo1
Veteran

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2012 at 10:52pm

If Domingues can't come, we will do pg backup by committee once again. T and Smith both can play pg. So I am not worried about it. I hope to see good performance from Dunlap and/or Stricklen.  We need one of them to be a solid SF backup.

Cheers,

I believe!

IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #6 - May 13th, 2012 at 3:29pm

Stricklen playing great so far 13 pts on 5of 9 shooting from the field (including 3 of 5 from 3)

TT has 11 pts on 5 of 10 from the field and 5 rebounds
Little 12 pts and 4 rebounds on 4-8 shooting
T Wright is playing great at the point with 8 assists and only 2TO's Smiley

IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #7 - May 13th, 2012 at 4:18pm

Storm win 61-60 from the Sparks Cool The Sparks were playing without Parker and DMJ and the Storm were without Birdy& Wauters (and LJ of course).

Stricklen had a game high 15 pts in her first game in the WNBA Smiley I'm curious to see if she proved to Agler that she can start at the SF friday and that he plays TT as the first post of the bench with Smith as the first guard of the bench.

Dunlap played another solid game with 6 pts(3-5 shooting), 5 steals and 3 rebounds. Looks like she will mostly be backing up Stricklen at the 3.

I think we will see a 8 player rotation friday with Smith, TT and Dunlap coming off the bench. And maybe some minutes for Kobryn to backup Wauters but will probably not be a lot of minutes
http://www.wnba.com/games/20120513/LASSEA/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

IP Logged

scullyfu
Veteran

Reply #8 - May 13th, 2012 at 6:27pm

i was very impressed with stricklen's cool in her first game. she looked very comfortable and played within herself. the fact that she was on the floor with the vets didn't hurt.

dunlap showed some good rebounding skills and some good d. she almost got buned on the last back door play because she didn't know her defensive position.

t looked really thin. man, what a game she had. her assists were true things of beauty.

tt was having quite a battle with rissa under the basket. Smiley

camille was her usual monster self.

nneka had some good plays, but i think she'll be better when she's playing with the real (veteran) starters.

friday should be a battle with sue and ann available for the storm; and ace and d'nasty available for the sparks.

I'll always bleed Storm green!

IP Logged

StormFanNo1
Veteran

Reply #9 - May 13th, 2012 at 6:58pm

Stricklen and Dunlap are definitely keepers. They both played great. 
This game was also a battle of the top 2 draft picks: Ogwumike vs Stricklen. I am happy to report that our girl won this round.  Smiley

I am on the fence with Quigley. She made some good moves, and some dumb moves. Is she worth a sport in the team? I am not sure. If Dominguez can't come, I guess our best option is still T and Smith sharing the backup pg duties.

I hope we can find a way to keep Taylor. Her height definitely made a difference in the game with rebounding.
We can cut other newcomers any time.

Cheers,

I believe!

IP Logged

gentree13
Starter

Dont Arouse the Wrath
of the Great & Powerful
Loz!

Beacon Hill
Reply #10 - May 13th, 2012 at 8:04pm

scullyfu wrote on May 13th, 2012 at 6:27pm:
i was very impressed with stricklen's cool in her first game.

"Coolness" has never been a problem for Shekinna Stricklen. Her play has always been smooth, calm, and not easily rattled. Sometimes she just seems to take it a little too far and disappear. I watched at least twenty of her games last season, and have been keeping an eye on her (and Glory Johnson) her whole career. At Tennessee, I did not see anything from her that told me she could become consistent enough to be relied upon at the WNBA level. This past SEC Tournament, she scored a total of two points in the first halves of the three games her team played in (she ended up averaging 16.7 points for the three games, which I guess in of itself is kind of ridiculous). My point is that through her whole college career, she never once impressed me. Today, for the first time, she impressed me.  Cool

Seattleites buy more sunglasses per capita than any other city in the nation. Seattle was the first city in the US to play a Beatles song on the radio. A group of ravens/crows is called a murder. Here's to bilita mpash (blissful dreams).

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #11 - May 14th, 2012 at 9:38am

Gayle and Taylor were waived after the game, so there goes a chance for some serious height (Taylor) on the team.  I was hoping she'd show more than she did 6 years ago, but her play yesterday wasn't anything special.

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

bcdawg04
Veteran

WA
Reply #12 - May 14th, 2012 at 12:21pm

Not surprised at the cuts. Taylor did not look like a keeper.

Based on yesterday, I don't think Allie has a spot on this team either (complicated with Dominguez not coming, though). Allie seemed mostly out of control and was getting pushed around.

I was also impressed with Stricklen and Dunlap. I thought that they combined well too--they looked like they had played together before.

"One of these days, you're going to make a ref cry."&&&&"I know you!  You're a Hooligan!"

IP Logged

psheehy
Veteran

Seattle is STILL the Storm's
home.Force Ten ROCKS!

Seattle
Reply #13 - May 14th, 2012 at 12:29pm

bcdawg04 wrote on May 14th, 2012 at 12:21pm:
Not surprised at the cuts. Taylor did not look like a keeper.

Based on yesterday, I don't think Allie has a spot on this team either (complicated with Dominguez not coming, though). Allie seemed mostly out of control and was getting pushed around.

I was also impressed with Stricklen and Dunlap. I thought that they combined well too--they looked like they had played together before.

I thought we wasted Taylor.  She looked decent rebounding and disrupting shots in her late play, but I watched her shooting during warmups...she has a VERY sweet elbow jumper that we never used.  I would have had her in high pick and roll situations on offense given her touch from that range...but I know they want a clean, flexible offense, not one predicated on individual strengths.

http://www.stormdefense.blogspot.com/
Just an ignorant but avid fan's random thoughts on the Storm.

Thank you Force 10, for keeping professional basketball here in Seattle.
WWW pssheehy  
IP Logged

scowl
Veteran

Portland, OR
Reply #14 - May 14th, 2012 at 12:42pm

Oh no, my section was invaded with the old people who scolded us fans for standing during the last minute of the game. How could we be so rude to people who could also stand up but preferred to sit in their seats like they were watching a movie? One granny rolled up her program and jabbed it at the standing people like they were bad dogs.  Tongue

Tina Thompson is a ball hog. She wouldn't even give that little girl her ball during the intros!  Wink

I also liked Kobryn's confusion during the intros. She froze like she couldn't remember what to do after she came out. Goofy things like this are what I like about preseason games.

"I know a lot of people who've gone to jail." -- Diana Taurasi
WWW scowl97201 scowlpdx  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print