Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Stormfans Home | Gameday | Chat | Gallery | Links | About Us
Click here for Forum Registration information
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rule change: WNBA brings no-charge restricted area (Read 2436 times)
StormFanNo1
Veteran

Rule change: WNBA brings no-charge restricted area
May 16th, 2012 at 2:45pm

NBA style no-charge restricted area added to the game this year. This should help with penetrating offense. I expect to see more guards slashing to the basket this year.

http://tracker.stormbasketball.com/?p=2433

Cheers,

I believe!

IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Re: Rule change: WNBA brings no-charge restricted area
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2012 at 2:51pm

Finaly  Smiley i was getting sick of players stepping under players when they were landing after a layup  Angry and next year the 3pointline will be moved back just like they have overseas Smiley

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #2 - May 16th, 2012 at 8:00pm

Guess Danielle Adams will have to finally play some defense instead of flopping to get calls.  Wink

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

Michelle89
Starter

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Reply #3 - May 17th, 2012 at 4:49am

czechchick7 wrote on May 16th, 2012 at 8:00pm:
Guess Danielle Adams will have to finally play some defense instead of flopping to get calls.  Wink

Jep thats for sure. Floppy was getting ridiculous

IP Logged

scowl
Veteran

Portland, OR
Reply #4 - May 30th, 2012 at 9:36am

Is my memory wrong or does the WNBA no-charge circle look much larger than when the NBA first had the dashed circle under the basket?

"I know a lot of people who've gone to jail." -- Diana Taurasi
WWW scowl97201 scowlpdx  
IP Logged

scowl
Veteran

Portland, OR
Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 1:47pm

I accidentally saw an NBA game last night and noticed that their no-charge zone is exactly like the WNBA's now.

If I remember right it was a smaller dashed circle under the basket when it was first introduced, then it disappeared and became the ref's judgment. Now it's back on the court as real line.

WWW scowl97201 scowlpdx  
IP Logged

FS02
Veteran

Poulsbo, WA
Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2012 at 5:04pm

According to my research..

The WNBA/NBA restricted area is 4' around the basket, in college its 3' and in FIBA about 4.1' (1.25m)

What I can't find out is how the rule is written.  Do you have to be completely outside the circle to take a charge?

Once you label me you negate me.
~Soren Kierkegaard
IP Logged

TDAO
Starter

WA
Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 3:32pm

FS02 wrote on Jun 9th, 2012 at 5:04pm:
Do you have to be completely outside the circle to take a charge?

Yes. In practice, your feet have to be outside of it, though technically if you're over the edge of the circle but go on tippy-toes to get outside it, that should also be a blocking foul.

IP Logged

scowl
Veteran

Portland, OR
Reply #8 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 6:39pm

Am I remembering right that it was originally a dashed circle under the basket in the NBA and then became invisible for a few seasons?

I didn't even know there was one in NCAA. I've seen lots of charges called right under the basket.

WWW scowl97201 scowlpdx  
IP Logged

TDAO
Starter

WA
Reply #9 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 10:21pm

scowl wrote on Jun 12th, 2012 at 6:39pm:
Am I remembering right that it was originally a dashed circle under the basket in the NBA and then became invisible for a few seasons?

I didn't even know there was one in NCAA. I've seen lots of charges called right under the basket.

It was definitely never invisible -- can't remember whether it was dashed at first or not. The NCAA just voted to paint the circle on the floor this season, when enforcement went from zero to any contact outside the circle automatically being a charge, which was fun.

IP Logged

scowl
Veteran

Portland, OR
Reply #10 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 2:45pm

TDAO wrote on Jun 12th, 2012 at 10:21pm:
It was definitely never invisible -- can't remember whether it was dashed at first or not.

Dang, I could have sworn that they just removed it from the court at some point and let the refs measure it with their eyes.

Quote:
The NCAA just voted to paint the circle on the floor this season, when enforcement went from zero to any contact outside the circle automatically being a charge, which was fun.

The circle will help because there are lots of refs and fans (at least at the women's games) who are completely unaware of this rule. I have enough aggravation dealing with loud fans who don't know what traveling is other than their team never does it.

WWW scowl97201 scowlpdx  
IP Logged

scowl
Veteran

Portland, OR
Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 6:48pm

I shot my first NCAA game of the season and while the circles are clearly painted on the floor now and the refs are calling it right, some players seem to be unaware of this circle. Zone defenses are parking their center under the basket and are baffled when get called for a blocking foul after they get run over. Three calls in this game alone!

I wanted to yell at the other team about it but that wouldn't make me too popular with the home crowd.  Sad

WWW scowl97201 scowlpdx  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print