Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Stormfans Home | Gameday | Chat | Gallery | Links | About Us
Click here for Forum Registration information
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Storm vs Minnesota 6-17-2012 (Read 1947 times)
StormFanNo1
Veteran

Storm vs Minnesota 6-17-2012
Jun 16th, 2012 at 2:24pm

Everyone thinks we will lose this game. I am cautiously optimistic however. Winning this game would be a tremendous morale booster for the team as well as the fans. Everyone has to bring their A game for this to happen.

Come on Storm! We all know you are better than a 2-7 team!
GO STORM!

Cheers,

I believe!

IP Logged

Eric
Rookie

Re: Storm vs Minnesota 6-17-2012
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 2:44pm

Minnesota AGAIN? Sad The schedule really hasn't been kind so far, has it?

"In the fullness of time, a garden to nurture and protect...it's a measure of a life."

IP Logged

stormfanUK
Deep Bench

I'm in!

UK
Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 6:25pm

The schedule hasn't been at all fair, all the more reason for us to win this one and make our mark on the league leaders perfect record.

IP Logged

Storm04.10
Veteran

Swin it to WIN IT!

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 8:09pm

Wow!   Shocked Great job, way to hang in.

Loved the hug Birdy gave TT.

"I'm not going to back down from anyone, I don't care how big you are or fast or strong or whatever. That's just not my style."

IP Logged

flipper
Starter

Awesome Aussie &"Cheeky
Little Bugger";)

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 8:14pm

Phew!  What a cardiac finish! 

Ms. Tina "Red Lipstick" Thompson, thank you so much!  Dinner is on Birdy tonight! Wink

Stormcrazies at Key Arena, you guys rock!!!

eta:
Oh, not just tonight, Birdy should be buying dinner twice for the two awesome rebounds by TT!  Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2012 at 8:17pm by flipper »  

...but Sue Bird is a legend in my eyes, so I love her out there - Lauren Jackson

IP Logged

FS02
Veteran

Poulsbo, WA
Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 8:21pm

What a game, looking forward to hearing some first-hand reports!  Shocked

Once you label me you negate me.
~Soren Kierkegaard
IP Logged

flipper
Starter

Awesome Aussie &"Cheeky
Little Bugger";)

Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 8:31pm

FS02 wrote on Jun 17th, 2012 at 8:21pm:
What a game, looking forward to hearing some first-hand reports!  Shocked

Hi FSO2!  Same here.

...but Sue Bird is a legend in my eyes, so I love her out there - Lauren Jackson

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 9:36pm

Ok, I think we can all breathe now...  Wink

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

Awase
Veteran

WA
Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 10:00pm

When I checked the scores from earlier in the day and saw that Tulsa won, I thought well if Tulsa can win, Minnesota can lose.  Great win, way to hang on and win a tough game.  Those two rebounds by Tina were freaking awesome.  Without them, we don't win the game.

"Undefeated in the f***ing playoffs!" Sue Effing Bird to Swin Cash 9/16/2010

IP Logged

StormFanNo1
Veteran

Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 10:00pm

What a great win! Fantastic!  Grin

We played very well for three quarters, and then withstood a furious Lynx comeback in the fourth. TT's rebound off a missed free throw by Bird sealed the win with 3 seconds left. Lynx had to foul TT,  and TT made BOTH free throws to put us up by 3 with 1 second left.   Smiley Smiley

T and Sue carried us offensively during the first three quarters. T slashed to the basket multiple times in the first quarter. Finally Lynx decided that they cannot ignore T and put a defender against her. This allowed Sue opportunities which she capitalized nicely. When Kobryn subbed for Ann, we began to pull away from the Lynx. We had double digit lead most of the game.

T, Smith and SUe did a fantastic defensive job on the famous Lynx guards. Moore, Whalen and Augustus were contained very well most of the game.

Sue was the super woman as usual. She only had a couple of mental lapses in the fourth( fatigue?). Other than that, she did it all.

For a while it seemed like we were going for a repeat of season opener game against LA. After leading most the way, an epic collapse in the fourth. Lynx clamped down on defense and we couldn't make a field goal for about 6 minutes. Finally a Katie Smith trey ended the drought. Her only bucket coming at a most crucial time for the Storm. And then TT's crucial rebound at the end...

This win is a tribute to our older veterans Katie and TT.

Cheers,

I believe!

IP Logged

DwgsStormFan
Veteran

Seattle, WA
Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 10:40pm

All I can say right now is woo-hoo!!!  Cheesy

2010 was even better than 2004
hspeegle  
IP Logged

Eric
Rookie

Reply #11 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 7:14am

WOW!  Of course that game couldn't have ended easily.  Roll Eyes

Regardless, that was a HUGE win.  Ought to be a big confidence booster for the ladies.

"In the fullness of time, a garden to nurture and protect...it's a measure of a life."

IP Logged

LaurenRules
Starter

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 8:29am

The game last night WAS epic.  Here are just a few thoughts.

The team came out with this intense, laser-like focus.  From the moment Ann won the first time, it was clear they were going to play hard and NOT be intimidated on our home floor.  Disruptive defense, focused offense (except for a few boneheaded turnovers in the second half), and focus, focus, focus.

Sue.  Wow, what can one say.  For three quarters, she was everywhere.  Hitting threes.  Making crisp, almost-perfect passes.  Seeing the floor.  Maybe I’m more aware of it this year, but she seems to be much more vocal and even more like a “floor general” than I remember seeing her in the past.  She took a really hard hit in the second half and wasn’t herself for the remainder of the game – looked almost fragile.  I hope she’s okay. 

TANISHA!  Welcome back!  I’m so glad the aliens let you go.  Seriously, though, it was GREAT to see her driving to the basket, SCORING (yay!), and some of her assists were gorgeous.  She was two away from a double-double!  Also, her defense is just scary, scary good.  She was all over Augustus last night and completely shut her down for an entire half.

I’ll get to our super-hero in a minute. 

Everyone else:  Ann plays hard, had a crucial board or two, but also had some missed opportunities under the paint.  It’s baffling why she doesn’t have her arms up.  On the plus side, her defense is looking really good.  Ewa does a much better job of owning the middle, but isn’t as fast.  Camille seemed a bit out of sorts last night.  Agler pulled her for some reason during the first quarter, and she was angry and upset. 

Katie was running the floor like she’d lost ten years somewhere, but was scoreless until the fourth quarter when she heaved up a really ugly three – but wow, we will take it!  Shekinna heaved up some forgettable shots, but I was very impressed with her poise.  At one point, Tanisha made one of those football passes and it was clear that it was going out of bounds, but SS grabbed it, threw it off of a Lynx player and then fell into the crowd.  Nice hustle play.

The Coaches:  In general, Agler seems a lot angrier this year, and spends a lot of time barking at the bench, most of whom weren't making eye contact with him.  Someone needs to make Jenny Boucek a sandwich, stat.  She is SO thin!  She was also wearing these incredible four-inch heels.  I’m not even sure how she walks in those things.

The atmosphere and crowd were INSANE.  It was like a playoff game, on steroids.  The first half was incredible – we were playing at such a high level, on both ends of the floor.  Of course, Minnesota being who they are, they fought their way back into the game in the second half – and we went so cold, so fast.  It was scary.  The mood in the arena was so tense, THEN SUDDENLY

(cue superhero music)

Tina-FREAKING-THOMPSON!  Not only did she grapple and fight her way to an AMAZING rebound under our basket (which looked like a VERY nasty rugby scrum), she snatched down another AMAZING offensive board after a rare Sue missed free throw, and made both her FT shots.  The crowd went insane.  What an amazing player.  Her mother and son sit near me and the little guy looked so happy and proud.  It was so sweet.

In general, the Lynx are an excellent team.  They didn’t look as crisp as last year, but they have so many weapons (especially Maya Moore), and can do so many things.  Cheryl Reeve was a bit out of control - was literally SCREAMING at Inouye, who finally gave her a T.  Honestly, I'd have kicked her out if I'd been Cameron.

Ann hit her 1,000 rebound and is just two points away from her 2,000th point!  Go, Ann!

Tina is within striking distance of her 7,000th point - she needs 150 more for the season. 

Overall, a great game and it's so great to have the Storm home again!  Welcome home.

IP Logged

Eric
Rookie

Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 11:48am

Just watching the game now (missed most of it last night), and I'm absolutely amazed at the energy difference between the Storm and the Lynx.  It looked like Minnesota was the team who just got through with a brutal road trip, not the Storm.  Never underestimate the power of the StormCrazies! Grin

IP Logged

StorminPope
Veteran

California
Reply #14 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 2:52pm

Awase wrote on Jun 17th, 2012 at 10:00pm:
Those two rebounds by Tina were freaking awesome.  Without them, we don't win the game.

Rebounding is why I love basketball. When the team gets a second chance, they are likely to run more time off the clock and win the game.  Tina Thompson rocks!

Achieve! Dream! Believe!
WWW http://www.myspace.com/lizpope https://www.facebook.com/elizabethpopelive  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print