Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Stormfans Home | Gameday | Chat | Gallery | Links | About Us
Click here for Forum Registration information
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Seattle Reign FC 2014 season at Memorial Stadium! (Read 3950 times)
Anotherfan
Veteran

WA
Seattle Reign FC 2014 season at Memorial Stadium!
Feb 6th, 2014 at 9:24pm

Seattle Reign FC moves to Memorial Stadium at Seattle Center for 2014!

http://www.reignfc.com

and their Facebook page says no game conflicts with the Storm this year (yay!) Smiley

edited to add: full schedule now posted on their website, they'll be also playing UW (at Husky Soccer Stadium) and U of Portland (in Portland) and SPU at home Smiley .
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2014 at 5:28pm by Anotherfan »  

IP Logged

bcdawg04
Veteran

WA
Re: Seattle Reign FC 2014 season at Memorial Stadium!
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2014 at 5:14pm

I am STOKED. This is a terrific move by the Reign front office. Between this and the offseason roster changes, the front office is obviously dedicated to building a successful franchise. They want to field a contender. I expect that they will open up the other side of the stadium before long. We are going to have a great rivalry with Portland. This is going to fun.

"One of these days, you're going to make a ref cry."&&&&"I know you!  You're a Hooligan!"

IP Logged

scowl
Veteran

Portland, OR
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 9:34am

That means I could easily see the Thorns play there.

Well, I ever wanted to see more soccer.  Roll Eyes

"I know a lot of people who've gone to jail." -- Diana Taurasi
WWW scowl97201 scowlpdx  
IP Logged

Anotherfan
Veteran

WA
Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 11:23am

Got an email, half-season (6 matches) and full-season (12 matches) tickets now available, no conflicts with Storm games this year (  Smiley !), unfortunately pre-season match with University of Portland in Portland has been cancelled (requested by UP because of scheduling conflicts Sad ) , all Sunday matches are 4 p.m., single match tickets go on sale Mon. the 17th, and also...

Season starts next month Smiley !!

edited to change "games" to "matches" Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2014 at 11:36am by Anotherfan »  

IP Logged

Anotherfan
Veteran

WA
Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2014 at 10:59am

Reign home opener today at Seattle Center (Memorial Stadium)-- single-match tickets start at $19

Playing the Boston Breakers (Heather O'Reilly, Cat Whitehill, Lisa De Vanna)

nice day! 4 p.m. start

Woo hoo!! Smiley

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/soundersfc/2014/04/12/a-chat-with-reign-fc-coach-l...
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2014 at 11:11am by Anotherfan »  

IP Logged

flipper
Starter

Awesome Aussie &"Cheeky
Little Bugger";)

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2014 at 4:17pm

...but Sue Bird is a legend in my eyes, so I love her out there - Lauren Jackson

IP Logged

Anotherfan
Veteran

WA
Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2014 at 2:22pm

What a great season! Huge turnaround from last season (first in the league vs. last year's almost last (7 of 8)!), last night's game at Memorial Stadium was fantastic (and nail-biting!) against a great Washington Freedom team, 2-1 finish.

The championship game is back at Starfire in Tukwila (14800 Starfire Way in Tukwila, hint, hint  Wink  ) as there is a little thing called Bumbershoot going on at Seattle Center next Sun.!

http://www.sounderatheart.com/seattle-reign/2014/8/24/6064775/recap-reign-come-f...

So back at Starfire at noon next Sun. against a very good Kansas City team, tickets at http://www.seattlereignfc.com, tickets available to the general public starting at noon tomorrow, tickets start at $19 for the Championship.

edited to add: saw Jayda at last night's game: http://mobile.seattletimes.com/story/today/2024383808/track-.-.-./
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2014 at 2:33pm by Anotherfan »  

IP Logged

bcdawg04
Veteran

WA
Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2014 at 7:01pm

Anotherfan wrote on Aug 25th, 2014 at 2:22pm:
What a great season! Huge turnaround from last season (first in the league vs. last year's almost last (7 of 8)!), last night's game at Memorial Stadium was fantastic (and nail-biting!) against a great Washington Freedom team, 2-1 finish.

Hehe, old school! This version is known as the Washington Spirit.

Maybe they were named after the old San Diego team. Who knows...we of course were named after an old basketball team.

Last night's game was so TENSE. Mad props to Veronica Perez, the UW grad (whose younger sister currently plays for the Huskies). VP is a bit of a giant-killer, once tallying the game-winner for Mexico over the US. Nice to see a Husky do so well at such a high level.

Speaking of...the save on the PK was sick, just sick. For much of yesterday's game--the longer we went with chance after chance without being able to finish, and then after VP's goal--I thought it might be the end for us. Make no mistake: finishing this season with anything less than the title would be a huge disappointment. We have come so far. We need to play better next week because KC will be a tougher opponent than Washington.

The championship game is back at Starfire in Tukwila (14800 Starfire Way in Tukwila, hint, hint  Wink  ) as there is a little thing called Bumbershoot going on at Seattle Center next Sun.!

I'm convinced that this is a direct result of the City of Seattle screwing over the Storm and kicking us out of the Key for last year's playoffs.

Reign would host NWSL Final at Starfire Soccer Stadium

Bumbershoot wasn't using Memorial the past few years, instead opting to use the Key (which is a little cheaper because the Key is already set up as a concert venue). This year, the WNBA kicked Bumbershoot out of the Key so that it would be available for the playoffs. So Bumbershoot had to move back to Memorial, and--insult to injury--the Key will be empty this weekend. Roll Eyes

The Reign tried to work it out to play the 8/31 final at Centurylink Field, but the Seahawks said no because of their game on Sept 4. Seems hypocritical not to give them 4 days when the Seahawks scheduled an on-field event the day before a Sounders match (which created some noticeable field issues when the Sounders crew was forced to prep the field the day of the match instead of the day before).

The Sounders offered to work out a doubleheader with the Reign on 8/30, but ESPN said no.

The Reign wanted to play in Seattle, so Husky Soccer Field was considered but it doesn't have the capacity; Husky Stadium was considered but the field can't accommodate a soccer field. So we go to Tukwila.

As long as win, I can live with it.

edited to add: saw Jayda at last night's game: http://mobile.seattletimes.com/story/today/2024383808/track-.-.-./

The Times coverage has been so uneven--the old Sounders beat writer sort of but not really covered the Reign. The new Sounders beat writer is also assigned to the Reign, but his articles put me to sleep. This was a pretty good article by Jayda.

"One of these days, you're going to make a ref cry."&&&&"I know you!  You're a Hooligan!"

IP Logged

Anotherfan
Veteran

WA
Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 8:54pm

woops, sorry, I meant Washington Spirit! oh well....

and --thanks for the links to the background of the venue change....

and-- at least next year we won't have to start and end the season early for the World's....shouldn't have this kind of conflict till 2018, I hope....

and-- Go Reign!! Should be a great game, I read they're already down to standing-room-only tickets....yeah Seattle fans!
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2014 at 8:59pm by Anotherfan »  

IP Logged

Anotherfan
Veteran

WA
Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 7:02pm

oh no Sad !

The Championship game is right up against Game 2 of the Wester Conference finals Sad !

We play Kansas City, which survived their Semi-Final with temps well over 100 degrees on the field(!), at noon on Sun. on ESPN2, and Game 2 of the Western Conference finals is on ABC at 12:30.....bummer scheduling bigtime
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2014 at 7:03pm by Anotherfan »  

IP Logged

bcdawg04
Veteran

WA
Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 11:30am

So disappointed beyond words that we couldn't finish this season off right.

Congrats to FCKC, though. They earned it.

Last week in an interview, Jess Fishlock described the 2014 Reign as "special," which reminded me so much of LJ talking about the Storm in 2010. But a near dream season for the Reign crumbled into a forgettable one yesterday.

The margin for error in soccer is so small. Carrying that "favorite" tag means very little. When games are decided by 5 or 10 or so shot attempts, every play in and around the box is so critical. A couple of mistakes like yesterday are so unforgiving...unlike a basketball game, which might end in a buzzer-beater--but the truth is there were 100 plays that carried the same weight and importance as that last shot.

Yesterday was more disappointing than the Storm season.

IP Logged

Anotherfan
Veteran

WA
Reply #11 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 12:46pm

agree with everything you said bcdawg04, except I don't think I am as disappointed, because, my thinking is-- really, you play 24 games, have far and away the best season this year of any team in the league, and then you're supposed to play 2 games to see who wins the Championship?? I mean, 2 games vs. 24?

To me it's more like college basketball where you play the season, and say you win the regular season big time-- then say, hey, you have to win this tournament to say you're the champions, but the tournament is only 2 games?? Huh?

If I'm not mistaken in other countries' soccer leagues, you win the regular season, that's it, you won the league (or whatever the soccer terminology is, I'm still learning Smiley ).

So yes it was a real let-down feeling yesterday after the game Sad ....

but I don't feel bad at all about the season as a whole (it was a fantastic season!) and I wish there was some other way of doing this championship thing, because it seems ridiculous to have 2 games decide the whole thing?

yes, KC was better on the day, but it's like you said: "The margin of error in soccer is so small. Carrying that "favorite" tag means very little. When games are decided by 5 or 10 or so shot attempts, every play in and around the box is so critical. A couple of mistakes like yesterday are so unforgiving...unlike a basketball game, which might end in a buzzer-beater--but the truth is there were 100 plays that carried the same weight and importance as that last shot."

I'm sure the Washington Spirit would agree...

Anyway, just not so down, considering the season as a whole was fantastic! On a any given day any team in this league can beat another, I just wish there was a different way to do this championship thing, and I was thinking that before the game!  Wink
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2014 at 12:47pm by Anotherfan »  

IP Logged

Anotherfan
Veteran

WA
Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 12:53pm

On  a happier note:

tickets for the 2015 Women's World Cup (held in Canada!) go on sale in 9 days!

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/loc/02/42/58/98/fwwc2015-purchasingth...

The days there are matches in Vancouver are: June 8, 12, 16, 21, 23, 27, and the final at B.C. Place on July 5.

and the NWSL announces 2015 season has some changes to accommodate the World Cup -- 4 less games, more weekend games, break for the World Cup, etc.

http://www.nwslsoccer.com/home/832700.html

So far no word on losing any teams....yay!!!!

world cup qualifying tournament starts next month (we still have to qualify!), but nowhere around here Sad   Go USA!!!
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2014 at 2:54pm by Anotherfan »  

IP Logged

bcdawg04
Veteran

WA
Reply #13 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 2:38pm

Anotherfan wrote on Sep 1st, 2014 at 12:46pm:
agree with everything you said bcdawg04, except I don't think I am as disappointed, because, my thinking is-- really, you play 24 games, have far and away the best season this year of any team in the league, and then you're supposed to play 2 games to see who wins the Championship?? I mean, 2 games vs. 24?

To me it's more like college basketball where you play the season, and say you win the regular season big time-- then say, hey, you have to win this tournament to say you're the champions, but the tournament is only 2 games?? Huh?

If I'm not mistaken in other countries' soccer leagues, you win the regular season, that's it, you won the league (or whatever the soccer terminology is, I'm still learning Smiley )

To be sure, it is a difficult format. Single elimination is always brutal. MLS has a weird playoff system which involves some rounds being a 2-game series decided by aggregate goals. Or something like that.

Oh college basketball is so tough as well. Usually the regular season conference championship matters more than the conference tournament championship. Then you have the even more daunting (but massively entertaining!) 6-round single elimination format for the national title. It's so difficult that different programs will have different definitions as to what it means to have a successful season. Only one team ends on a winning note (unless you count winning the NIT, which is an accomplishment, but many will say it only matters if it propels you to the NCAAs the following year). If you're the Connecticut Huskies, maybe anything less than the NCAA title is a huge disappointment.

If you're the Washington Huskies...well, I can tell you that the odds of us ending the season with anything other than a loss is slim to none. And I'm sure I will feel some disappointment when we lose our last game and the season ends, but if that last game is an NCAA tourney game, we may walk away feeling accomplished and optimistic.

I don't follow international soccer, but I have heard something similar. Coach Harvey said after winning the Shield that Fishlock and Little had been saying all season, "Win the league, win the league, win the league"; whereas the Americans like Leroux had been saying, "Win the playoffs, win the playoffs, win the playoffs."

I think one of the differences is that other leagues have much longer seasons and so the best team is the one that has sustained excellence over that longer period of time. Here in the US we do have a huge focus on winning the playoffs. You have to go out and prove that you are indeed the top team. And you always want to win your last game. I wish I could take some comfort in how well those first 25 games went as you have, but that last game was a big one. Anytime we look back at the 2014 season, we will remember that we lost our last game and watched another team lift the championship trophy.

I can't imagine there is any comparison between what we felt when we won the Shield and what FCKC felt yesterday.

IP Logged

bcdawg04
Veteran

WA
Reply #14 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 2:59pm

I clearly invest too much in too many teams and should seriously consider cutting back. Tongue Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print