Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Stormfans Home | Gameday | Chat | Gallery | Links | About Us
Click here for Forum Registration information
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2106 Schedule and Playoff Format (Read 955 times)
Awase
Veteran

WA
2106 Schedule and Playoff Format
Jan 29th, 2016 at 3:06pm

Not sure I like the new "balanced" schedule.  We play 16 games against Western Conference opponents and 18 against Eastern Conference opponents which seems a little strange.  Not sure what the rationale behind making the playoffs four rounds with the first two rounds single elimination.  Also it will be interesting to see how the re-seeding works in the playoffs.  Is it May yet??????

"Undefeated in the f***ing playoffs!" Sue Effing Bird to Swin Cash 9/16/2010

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Re: 2106 Schedule and Playoff Format
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2016 at 7:48am

How is it a schedule is "balanced" when a team plays out of conference more than in it? 

Single elimination means one team starts playoff play on the road and could end it there.  And if they're the lower seed in the second round, they also are on the road for that game.  So much for their fans being able to support their team in the playoff.

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

Anotherfan
Veteran

WA
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2016 at 12:10pm

At first look I like the new "balanced" schedule, in the sense that we won't be playing some teams 5 times and some only 2. We'll have more of a chance to see more of the players in the league. And they did say it would alternate in different years, so if we are playing a team 3 times instead of 4 one year it will alternate the next year. I really think this is a better idea.

As for the new playoff format, I'm not sure of that, I have to look at it more....Is it because the old style was making the last few games of the season sort of non-competitive or something, too predictable? I know they want hard-fought game all the way to the end....

I'm excited!!!!!

IP Logged

bcdawg04
Veteran

WA
Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2016 at 12:24pm

I like that the semifinals has been expanded to best-of-5. However, I hate single elimination. If we had more teams, having a first round of single elimination might work. What's the point in this situation? Eight teams in the post season make for a nice bracket with a full series in each round.

Two rounds of single elimination plus double-byes with so few teams is absurd.

I also don't understand moving to a single table format. This move would make sense if one conference were noticeably and continually much stronger than the other--say, when the 5th and 6th place teams in one conference are more deserving of a playoff spot than the 2nd or 3rd or 4th place team in the other. We don't have that. We are not MLS. We do not need to get this creative about the playoff format.
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2016 at 12:25pm by bcdawg04 »  

"One of these days, you're going to make a ref cry."&&&&"I know you!  You're a Hooligan!"

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2016 at 8:51am

This was pointed out somewhere else-

Indiana lost game game 1 to Chicago and won the series.

New York lost game 1 to Washington and won the series.

Indiana lost game 1 to New York and won the series

Minnesota lost game 1 to Indiana and won the series.

What happens if a #3 or #4 seed loses a one game elimination due to poor officiating?
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2016 at 8:56am by czechchick7 »  

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

FS02
Veteran

Poulsbo, WA
Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2016 at 11:44am

czechchick7 wrote on Feb 1st, 2016 at 8:51am:
What happens if a #3 or #4 seed loses a one game elimination due to poor officiating?

That probably will happen, so you really, really want to be the #1 or 2 seed now.  It will make the regular season more intense if you have a good team.. I guess at the expense of ending the season more abruptly for so-so teams.

We'll see how that it works in practice, but guess I like the new schedule, I thought playing the same opponent 5x in a season was too many--especially if you like to watch games besides just the Storm's games, it got boring seeing the same match-ups over and over.

Once you label me you negate me.
~Soren Kierkegaard
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print