Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Stormfans Home | Gameday | Chat | Gallery | Links | About Us
Click here for Forum Registration information
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LJ jersey retirement night July 15!!!!! (Read 895 times)
Anotherfan
Veteran

WA
LJ jersey retirement night July 15!!!!!
Jun 24th, 2016 at 7:07am

Ok, I'm excited  Grin

just woke up and read this:

http://storm.wnba.com/news/seattle-storm-retire-lauren-jacksons-jersey-keyarena-...

She will be in town for the first time since 2012 for this....too bad it's kind of short notice (people might be out of town) but it's great they're doing this and she can come out!!!

Edited to add: this is maybe the best and most succinct quote I've read so far about her-- says what I think and in a much better way than I could:

“As hard as the finality of this is, I am extremely excited to celebrate Lauren’s career,” said Storm head coach Jenny Boucek. “She was a player that wow’ed me on a regular basis and remains a friend that I will treasure for life. In my opinion, she is the most dominant player the women’s game has ever seen. Not only was she the most talented, but she was also second to none as a fierce competitor. She is one of those rare players that, when she would set foot in a gym, everyone knew we could win a championship.” (italics mine)

FIERCE!!!
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2016 at 9:24am by Anotherfan »  

IP Logged

Michelle89
Veteran

Aussie aussie aussie oi
oi oi

Holland
Re: LJ jersey retirement night July 15!!!!!
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 3:52am

Really glad that they are going to honor her. Hopefully there will be a big crowd! Too bad im on my holiday in Italy. But gonna try to tune in from there. LEGEND

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 9:28am

People on other boards are saying the Key better be sold out.  Not 9000+ sold out, but 17,000+ sold out.

The one way to do that is to get the loudmouthed sports talk radio guys in town (Softie, I'm looking at you) to hype this.  After all, Lauren was one of their most outspoken advocates for keeping the Sonics in town.  They should remember that and honor her to say "thanks".

It would be great if Stormfans innudated those stations with requests for the on air hosts to talk about her and this night.  We can't leave it up to the Storm's marketing dept.  We've seen how they're often woefully bad at PR.

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

Anotherfan
Veteran

WA
Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 12:26pm

czechchick7 wrote on Jun 25th, 2016 at 9:28am:
People on other boards are saying the Key better be sold out.  Not 9000+ sold out, but 17,000+ sold out.

The one way to do that is to get the loudmouthed sports talk radio guys in town (Softie, I'm looking at you) to hype this.  After all, Lauren was one of their most outspoken advocates for keeping the Sonics in town.  They should remember that and honor her to say "thanks".

It would be great if Stormfans innudated those stations with requests for the on air hosts to talk about her and this night.  We can't leave it up to the Storm's marketing dept.  We've seen how they're often woefully bad at PR.

I agree but wish there wasn't a Mariners game that same night, dammit, tho luckily no Reign FC game....

IP Logged

Anotherfan
Veteran

WA
Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 9:09pm

Storm advertising "$15 tickets for #15 LJ night"-- and no fees!

https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/storm/EN/promotion/home?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTURVeU5...

edited to add: for first 1500 buyers

edited again: to fix link
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2016 at 7:32am by Anotherfan »  

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 7:00am

It seems the marketing staff is going all out to sell out the Key. 

But...I take exception to basically using Lauren to fundraise for them.  As a longtime STH, I shouldn't have to buy $500 worth of tickets for the opportunity to see Lauren in a meet and greet.  I'm not rich-I have a hard time buying my season tick.  But now they want me to pay almost DOUBLE that for an event?! 

I told a staff person that I'd be willing to pay $50 to see Lauren and be able to say "thank you" to her in person-no picture with her, no fancy food, etc.  If they did that, they'd get a better response, instead of alienating a big chunk of their longtime STH's. 

But from what I've been told, the new group of staff are all about getting the big corporate dollars and scoring the big bucks in one shot.  The days of having a staff that cares about the avg. fan are fading into the past.  There's only a handful of veteran staffers left who do that.  The rest are trying to make the biggest splash possible in the shortest amount of time-all corporate, all the time.

"A dream that's too big is just the right size."-Jennifer Azzi     “Have the courage to follow your dreams. That’s your gift to the world.”-Cathy Rush in "The Mighty Macs"

IP Logged

Anotherfan
Veteran

WA
Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 9:16pm

just read it will be a post-game ceremony for retiring her jersey (somehow I was expecting pre-game, guess I'm just more used to those)
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2016 at 9:17pm by Anotherfan »  

IP Logged

Storm04.10
Veteran

Swin it to WIN IT!

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 1:03am

This may get you guys excited. From Twitter, posted Sunday night:

Quote:
Lauren Jackson ‏@laurenej15 
So excited to see my girls in a few hours xxxx 💚💛💚💛💚💛💚❤️ @S10Bird @Abby_Knight10 🏀🏀🏀 @seattlestorm 😊😘😁 & my fave city in the world #Seattle
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2016 at 1:04am by Storm04.10 »  

"I'm not going to back down from anyone, I don't care how big you are or fast or strong or whatever. That's just not my style."

IP Logged

czechchick7
Hall of Famer

Dalmatian without the
spots

WA
Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 5:52am

The retirement ceremony is post-game, the meet and greet is pre-game.  But that might end up being cut short.  Nobody really knows what's going on.

IP Logged

Anotherfan
Veteran

WA
Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 10:10am

Storm04.10 wrote on Jul 11th, 2016 at 1:03am:
This may get you guys excited. From Twitter, posted Sunday night:

Quote:
Lauren Jackson ‏@laurenej15 
So excited to see my girls in a few hours xxxx 💚💛💚💛💚💛💚❤️ @S10Bird @Abby_Knight10 🏀🏀🏀 @seattlestorm 😊😘😁 & my fave city in the world #Seattle

thanks for the notice!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print